Convert a Schwinn Swindler to 3 speed?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all-

I just picked up a Schwinn Swindler from Wally World for $69. A steal at that price. Been riding it around the hood and enjoy it. I am wondering if anyone knows if a 27.5 wheel exists that also has an auto-shift 3 speed hub in it? A 3 speed manual would be ok too if an auto is not made. Any ideas on the easiest way to convert this if no such thing exists? I just want to end up with a 3 speed cruiser the easiest way possible. I can find tires for it no problem but am coming up empty looking for 3 speed.

Much thanks!

SRAM has created a three speed version of their Automatix hub, but unless you live in rural Africa, you cannot currently get your hands on it.

On to the Swindler - first off, take the rear wheel off your bike and measure the space between the rear dropouts (the slots that the rear wheel goes into). Given that it's a Wal-Mart single speed coaster brake bike, it's probably either 110mm or 116mm. Here's a list of a few three speeds hubs available at different spacings:

Sachs Dreigang Torpedo - 110mm (has been out of production for decades, but top quality and can be found used)
Sturmey Archer SRC3 - 116 mm
Shimano Nexus - 120 mm

Keep in mind that regardless of what spacing your frame is, either you or your bike shop should be able to respace it since I believe the Swindler is a steel frame.

I cannot seem to find any pre-built 650B (27.5) three speed wheels, either, but it's probably for the best - most pre-built three speed wheels are laced to Wheelmaster rims, which are junk, and then they charge you $175 for the wheel - which means you're overpaying. Here's my suggestion - pick one of those hubs listed above (if you can manage a 120mm hub in the frame, contact Ind_Chuckz on here - he can probably get you a brand new Nexus hub REAL cheap), grab a rim (I'll leave it to others here to recommend a rim; I'm not knowledgable on 650B), and have your bike shop lace it up for you. You'll probably save a few dollars over buying a pre-built wheel and you'll end up with a better wheel anyways.

PS: How did you get a Swindler that cheap?!? Was it on clearance at your store?

PPS: Any interest in selling the old single-speed coaster brake wheel? I have an expirement I need a 650B coaster brake wheel from and I'm not picky - a Wal-Mart wheel will work just as good as any :D.

Hey man, props to you for such a thorough response! :rockout: I am going to measure the gap in just a bit. I have no problem selling the wheel when I am done with it. I don't have any frames or project bikes laying around. This Swindler will be the last bike for a while.

The Swindler (name makes me laugh) was on clearance in the Walmart in Centennial, CO. There were 5 of them when I saw the deal, I returned home to clear out the back of the KIA Soul, and when I got back there were only 2! Went fast:aggressive:

I will let you know what the gap measures.

MUCH THANKS TO YOU:113:

No problem!

I seem to see people on this forum posting all sorts of sweet deals on this bike when they pick it up in-store. I've been to numerous Wal-Mart's all over Wisconsin and none of them carry it. The online price of $139 isn't terrible either, but I sure wouldn't mind scoring one for $69!

Just measured and it is 110 mm. I am going to look for a Sachs Dreigang Torpedo to begin with. Thanks for telling me about 650b, didn't know it was basically the same size. I am going to go with having the shop build the wheel once I have everything.

I had seen the Shwindler marked at $140 a few months back. The springer fork caught my eye. When my wife and I saw it marked down to $69, she said "let's get the car unloaded so we can bring her home". Good woman.

My wife supports my bike hoarding habit too, which has it's benefits, but I'd probably have a lot more living space if she didn't let me buy half of what I want to buy :D.

I'd probably post in the "Wanted" forum here on Ratrod about the Sachs hub. Sometimes there are plenty of them on Ebay; right now I don't see any. It seems to go in spurts. Just make sure you specify that you want the coaster brake version (I'm assuming you want a coaster brake, anyways). These hubs are absolutely rock-solid pieces of machinery; they truly don't make them like this anymore. There is also a really good article online on how to overhaul these hubs, so you could theoretically keep this hub going forever. However, because you said you want this process to be as easy as possible, you may want to consider buying a brand new 3 speed hub rather than a used one like the Sachs hub. Because, let's face it, if you're going to use a 40-50+ year-old hub, you should really overhaul it with some fresh grease first. And while three speeds aren't exactly rocket science, if you haven't done one before, they are a bit daunting.

So otherwise you two other options are:

Sturmey Archer SRC3:
Pros: It runs silently (most three speeds make a ratcheting sound while you ride; I hate that), you won't have to re-space your drop outs as much (only to 116mm).
Cons: You could get a Nexus cheaper, there isn't much documentation out there on servicing these hubs.

Shimano Nexus:
Pros: You can get one of these dirt-cheap from Ind_Chuckz on these here forums, they also have perhaps the strongest brake of any coaster brake out there (it's seriously ruined all other coaster brakes for me).
Cons: Makes a rather loud ratcheting sound, you'll have to respace your frame to 120mm.

Also, Sturmey Archer makes a wide variety of 3-speed shifters that are compatible with both hubs. I love their seat-post shifter; it allows me to run a three-speed hub without having a gaudy cable running all the way from my handlebars to my rear hub.

Getting a 3 speed on your bike should definetely be doable. If you're looking for simple, I would probably look into one of the modern hubs. Just have your bike shop respace the frame while they build you a wheel. Just make sure your frame is made of steel; I've heard some people say these Swindlers are steel and others say they are aluminum.

Latest posts

Back