Convert a skip tooth cog to late model rear hub????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Has anyone here converted a skip tooth rear cog to a late model rim? I want to run a skip tooth set up on my new felt cruiser wheels. Is it a matter of just notching the three square notches?

If you've got an even number of teeth on the rear cog, you could always gring every other one off, do the same to your chain ring and you've have the 'skip tooth look' without having to buy any parts.

Just thinking...prbably stupidly..

I have done that before. It works but you have a little "play" when engaging the brake and then back to drive. In this case I have a particular front skip tooth sprocket I want to use so it has to be the real deal. Thanks for your input, though.
Someone told me I could just grind every other tooth of a even numbered rear cog but I find that hard top believe. Anyone?

I have fitted cogs to the wrong hub...I use a chainsaw file to make the notches for the old style ones, and a barrel sander to open up the hole if needed..

Yes I have the skip tooth chain, ring and cog.
Ratfink1962 said:
If your gonna use an old original skiptooth chainring, then your gonna need a real skiptooth chain, the original chainring is much thicker and wont work with a regular 1/2" pitch chain.

Thanks. Sounds as easy as I thought it could be. I just wanted to get the inside scoop before I start cutting stuff up.

scrumblero said:
I have fitted cogs to the wrong hub...I use a chainsaw file to make the notches for the old style ones, and a barrel sander to open up the hole if needed..

Petrohead said:
Has anyone here converted a skip tooth rear cog to a late model rim? I want to run a skip tooth set up on my new felt cruiser wheels. Is it a matter of just notching the three square notches?

How did this turn out?
I have the situation. I have a ND (threaded) skip tooth cog and want to mount it on the Nexxus 3spd hub.

Not wanting to bust anybody's bubbles , but a skiptooth rear sprocket is real thick because its threaded on. I'm thinking that even if you ground it out to fit a nexus hub , it would be so thick that you couldn't put the c clip spring on to hold it.

Uncle Stretch said:
Not wanting to bust anybody's bubbles , but a skiptooth rear sprocket is real thick because its threaded on. I'm thinking that even if you ground it out to fit a nexus hub , it would be so thick that you couldn't put the c clip spring on to hold it.

Might work with the dust cover taken off.

I'm not sure what the diameter is of the skip tooth cog you have is, but it should be somewhat easy to make the three tabs you need mount it to a coaster/Nexus hub. You'd either have to make the hole larger and leave the three tabs, or fill it in with a welder, trace a normal cog and file it away laving the three tabs.

It would take a little work but should be worth the effort when done.

As far as the thickness goes, you could just narrow the section where it mounts on the hub by grinding or filing it away around the inner part of the cog.

I am on it. Thanks everyone!

Beau said:
I'm not sure what the diameter is of the skip tooth cog you have is, but it should be somewhat easy to make the three tabs you need mount it to a coaster/Nexus hub. You'd either have to make the hole larger and leave the three tabs, or fill it in with a welder, trace a normal cog and file it away laving the three tabs.

It would take a little work but should be worth the effort when done.

As far as the thickness goes, you could just narrow the section where it mounts on the hub by grinding or filing it away around the inner part of the cog.

just picked up my modified sprocket today.

skiptoothonnexxushub.jpg

Way cool. Now you make me want one. I will have to talk to my fab/machinist guy and see if he can whip me one up. :lol:

Latest posts

Back