Converting a skiptooth. Any performance issues?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a modern crank I want to make look vintage. I plan to convert into a skip tooth by grinding off every other tooth. Has anyone tried this? Any performance issues like the chain falling off or pedaling is not as efficient? Any problems I'm not thinking of?

My bike is a single speed with a free wheel/fixie flip flop hub. Cantilever brakes.

Thank you in advance for reading.

Cheers,
Rob

highship that is good advice I wonder how many have started cutting teeth only to realize its odd :lol: :oops:

I have done this a number of times, cutting every other tooth off of the front and rear ring and cog. This works best if the chain is new. This also works best with steel rings and cogs. The chain stretch tolerance will be doubled so the chain fit tends to be sloppy but tolerable and the wear is accelerated.

c.p.odom said:
I have done this a number of times, cutting every other tooth off of the front and rear ring and cog. This works best if the chain is new. This also works best with steel rings and cogs. The chain stretch tolerance will be doubled so the chain fit tends to be sloppy but tolerable and the wear is accelerated.

Great to know. Many thanks for your answer.

Does anyone have photos of what they've done? I would love to see some examples. I'm going to start on mine in a few weeks and will document it here.

c.p.odom said:
This works best if the chain is new.

A "new" skip-tooth chain? That will cost you. I think I've only seen one new skip-tooth chain in my life. Good luck on that one. :| Gary

I was assuming that he would use a 1/2 inch pitch chain. I have written a number of times that an inch pitch chain/cog is not simply double a 1/2 inch pitch. The drive teeth/chain link are .625" and the trailing link is .375"

I think you're right Curtis. :oops: He probably just wants the look on the chain ring, not a complete skip tooth setup. Gary

Latest posts

Back