Cool auction on ebay :: need identification of the bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
so well, I must here thank you all guys for giving me ideas and inspiration to begin a new bike project, and for giving me the taste for vintage frames. A few days ago, I saw this on ebay and placed a bid. I did win it, and was about to buy this for (I should have known it's too good to be true) 36 USD !!

schwinn1.jpg

Right after the auction has been closed and I won it, the seller told me he won't ship to my place (France), because out of the US. Though his ebay store's Q&A assures they ship worldwide.
You guys can imagine how disappointed I am...
:cry: :cry: :cry:
However, I'd like to know more about the bike, and if you happen to know about some, a link to an online reference about vintage schwinns.

And look after the item on ebay, if the guy really refuses to ship it my way... Looks good to me (even with the little I know).

Thx a lot in advance.

yeah sounds quite a good idea... so well if anyone does feel like helping some fellow rat rider from abroad...
You guys can't imagine how difficult it is to find that kind of bike parts in here...
Well, anyway, I'll keep looking on ebay or any other way I can figure out to find myself an old schwinn (or the like) that needs my greasy hands to be born again ;)
And I'm still planning a trip to NYC sometimes in october or november... so that might be my one chance ;)

thx a for your suggestion October

the bike is about 1963 skipper or tornado double straight bars on the bottom only came out for about two years. they are middleweight bikes tires are 20, 24, or 26 by 1.75 i have all three sizes. i can check with fedex and see about shipping to france. oldroads.com is a good source of info

Hey...

I cab help! Have it sent to my address and I will get it to you. SHould run less than $200 to get it to France. I just sent a bike to Germany and the buyer was very satisfied. I have a few references here or you can check ebay under my same username.

Thanks, Joe

goldz56 said:
shipping to france is about 400 bucks. ouch

$400 for shipping? that's a ton of cash!

Are any of the retro styled beach cruisers being imported to France? Might be cheaper to start your rat rod from a new bike if you can find one.

I get a lot of french tourists in my store, a couple weeks ago a group of them saw my bike out front and mentioned the the Electras with the surfboard racks were turning up on the beaches there. If the pricing is comparable to the price in the states you could get a new bike for not much more than the shipping on an Ebay beater.

Dennis

I saw a 39 zeppelin on ebay that was unrestored and was selling from england, a year ago. A year ago I sold my Raliegh Chopper back to england and by the time it got there its frame was in a 90% angle.

Martin, if you haven't checked it out yeshoney said he might be able to help you. But then again, for the price of shipping Id'e consider if that schwinn is the one for you. Frames can usually be picked up on ebay for fifty US dollers or less.

Sometimes there are a few oldies on http://www.marktplaats.nl , the dutch version of Craigslist. I dunno where you live in France, but from the north you'd even be able to pick a bike up. Ofcourse they're a lot more expensive then $36... Yesterday a saw a nice Murray (150 Euros). But I can imagine it's a hassle trying to read Dutch :?
You guys don't have a similar thing in France?

THANKS A LOT to every one of you offering some help with my little ebay trouble. The point is the shipping fees are just way to high for the deal to still be a bargain...
Since I'm travelling in the US in october or november, I'll try and dig around yard sales and antique markets, hoping to find something similar.
I guess it'll be even more fun to discover my dream frame that way.
And for those suggesting it, I've already bought a newer cruiser, which I'm working on a bit. It's a Felt Sunliner (I find the frame looks really great, classic and tougher at the same time). I'm posting a pic beneath.
But now, after all the bikes I see in here, I wanna try my hand at some real classic bike... I'll let u know after my little trip, if I did find something worthy.
And meanwhile, the schwinn I was trying to get on ebay will be back on sale today... If anyone's interested.. (the seller's nickname is " bring-it! ").

Thanx again everyone.

myride.jpg

Thanx a lot Kev.
The bike ain't quite done yet... I'm working on my hand lettering skills, and will bring the 1-shot to good use on that tank ;-)
For now I think it will read something like "Street Rod" with all the ligatures you can think of ;-)
And I'm considering turning it into 24x3" as well... I'm not sure how it would ride though.
And if anyone ever has any good address, idea, flea market insight in the New York area, it's hugely welcome !!

Nice looking felt!

Dennis

Back