Cool cat BMX frame stretch/re-fab...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's right I want to be one of the cool cats with the grown up length BMX bikes. I discovered how fun the small bikes are when my boys got an unidentified 1970s looptail rolling and I started riding it. It has been deemed too old and cool to cut up though and I really need something a bit longer than an 18" top tube for my 6' body.

I picked this old free spirit out of my buddies scrap pile and got it rolling. It will go under the knife and undergo a bit of a frame stretch while I atempt to keep angles and geometry in line and then add a few MTB bits like better brakes, fatter seat post etc to help cope with my 190lb self. I have a decent Akisu fork to throw in there too.

I am shooting for a mix of old school BMX style with a bit of trials bike and freestyle mixed in. We'll see how it goes...

Here is the victim:

I was surprised how nicely a 20" Sting-Ray rides, and I'm 6' 200 lbs. Set up right they're a blast. Of course, mine's a pavement pounder with a slik; I won't be doing any jumps or stunts on it beyond the occasional wheelie.

Have fun.

furyus

Back