Cool old military motorcycle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I saw this old bike and side car on my way to lunch today. I've got NO IDEA what it is, just thought it was cool, especially the 'twin seats'.
IMG00004-20101011-1205.jpg

IMG00005-20101011-1206.jpg

IMG00007-20101011-1207.jpg

IMG00006-20101011-1206.jpg

Cheers!
Dr. T

my 1967 ducati ts americano had the exact same aprilla headlight. to be honest the entire front clip looks to be almost identical.

IMG_1196_2.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

well not identical, but very similar. i wouldn't be surprized if it were a ducati front end (different year)

They have a small dealer in Tipton, IN that carries these brand new bikes that look like those, cheap too, sidecar and all is like $10 grand. I been thinking about one. They are out of Russia but are some sweet bikes

http://www.imz-ural.com/

I'd put money on it being a Ural. They made a ton of BMW military-ish "knock offs," and most had side cars.

Anyone here know anybody who has an Ural? I have been looking at them for a while thinking about getting one but wondering about reliability, maintainability, and all that. I did test ride one and it rides pretty good for a cheap bike and I was impressed, I think it's a heck of a deal! I mean $10K for a bike with sidecar and everything that still has that old-school look to it is cool, but I'm hoping it's not like the Chinese bike engine kits as far as reliability goes.

outskirtscustoms said:
Anyone here know anybody who has an Ural? I have been looking at them for a while thinking about getting one but wondering about reliability, maintainability, and all that. I did test ride one and it rides pretty good for a cheap bike and I was impressed, I think it's a heck of a deal! I mean $10K for a bike with sidecar and everything that still has that old-school look to it is cool, but I'm hoping it's not like the Chinese bike engine kits as far as reliability goes.

I have a friend who has one and it has had many problems related to build quality. They are cheap for a reason. That being said it is a very simple design and I have helped him work on it quite a bit. They are definately not high tech and the average mechanic can fix most of the issues.

2manybikes said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I have a friend who has one and it has had many problems related to build quality. They are cheap for a reason. That being said it is a very simple design and I have helped him work on it quite a bit. They are definately not high tech and the average mechanic can fix most of the issues.

Well I am a mechanic so small issues shouldn't be a problem, it's the big ones I worry about.

Dr. T is right...it is Russian. The is a Dnepr m 72, built during WW2 all the way till the late 50's...It was a copy of the BMW R71. My friend from Russia told me that they were more into mass production...unlike the Germans who focussed more on precision.
3781219853_c7f34eb091.jpg

Back