Cool tools

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, a friend called me up and said he was no longer allowed to ride (due to a brain tumor) but he'd like for me to take some of his stuff and use how I saw best. I thought it was just going to be a few things...turned out to be a lot! Filled my son's van up in fact. The bikes (2 very nice road bikes, both of which can be picked up using a couple of fingers) will be sold and money given to him and his family. The tools I'll keep. I think I might have more tools than the average bike store.
In the bottom drawer of a large tool chest...
Biketools004.jpg

In the middle drawer...
Biketools008.jpg

The above were just the Park tools, the middle drawer still had random wrenches.
Biketools009.jpg

And I sure would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me to what the following tools do..
Biketools010.jpg

Biketools005.jpg

Biketools007.jpg

Biketools011.jpg

Not shown are the wheel truing stand, bike holder, complete set of touring luggage for one of the bikes, numerous back racks, two pairs of clip in shoes, helmets and various other bike related gear.
And by the way, my buddy is in remission, but due to the seriousness of the previous tumor and where it was removed, the doctor said his balance would never be that great again. I talked to him about building him a trike and we'll see about that hopefully in the near future. :wink:

Nice selection. Im still new to bike building but am at the point where trying to use regular mechanics tools arnt cutting it. Where is a good place to start when building your tool selection?

StepChld said:
Long story short, a friend called me up and said he was no longer allowed to ride (due to a brain tumor) but he'd like for me to take some of his stuff and use how I saw best. I thought it was just going to be a few things...turned out to be a lot! Filled my son's van up in fact. The bikes (2 very nice road bikes, both of which can be picked up using a couple of fingers) will be sold and money given to him and his family. The tools I'll keep. I think I might have more tools than the average bike store.
In the bottom drawer of a large tool chest...

And I sure would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me to what the following tools do..:

You can find most of these probably on the Park tool page but from a quick glance(photo I left out looked like some cheesy rim-brake/cable tools I've seen before);

These are one piece crank bottom bracket spanner tools for the non-drive side cones that have the slot on the facing, though there are other places the round one can be used.
Biketools010.jpg

Crank arm removal tool should be good for most older square taper and some after that. The pusher bar in the middle is too small for some newer MTB stuff.
Biketools007.jpg

Looks like a bunch of older freewheel removal/repair tools.
Biketools011.jpg

yeah, i think the color might be hard to judge on the foreground pin spanner. looks like it is actually the green one for 3 piece. i think there is also a blue one and a yellow one for slotted cups. the red one is mostly just handy for early 90's shimano crank dust caps, green fits just about all cups with pin holes.

the wire thing is a '3rd hand' for holding sidepull brakes against the rim, the red handled tool is a '4th hand' for pulling cables tight, it's also great for tightening zip ties so they look clean and professional.

nice selection of things for older bikes! :wink:

Thank you folks, your advice has really been helpful. And good thing I don't buy new bikes, early '90's bikes work for me! :lol:

Although I haven't used one I believe the red handled pliers with the spring are called a 4th hand. They are used to pull tension on the end of a brake cable leaving one hand free to tighten the clamp nut. More commonly used for caliper brakes.

Hope all goes well for your friend. My brother in law has Fredricsons disease and he has very little balance. BUT, he sure can rip around on his electric 3 wheel, wheel chair.

Back