Costs of Building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I have the 2 bikes I am working on all stripped and have examined parts to see what needs replacing and what can be re-used. My question now is, how do I justify the price of building? I understand the whole 'built not bought' concept, so that isn't it. On my bike (Rollfast, see intro post) I will keep the frame, fork, rack, and chain-guard. Pretty much replace the rest. All said and done and out the door the costs could easily exceed $150. Not a lot I know, but I can buy a complete brand new Schwinn cruiser for way less. The 1950 Schwinn for my wife will be a little cheaper as I want to keep it as close to original as possible.

So are my sources of parts the problem? I would like to keep it cheap of course, but...

I live in a townhouse so a dedicated shop is not practical. I have plenty of space for working but not stock piling parts. I will basically just have to buy the parts I need rather than hitting the pavement and buying up good deals (as I would have done back when I owned a home).

Lemme know any tips or tricks you have for cost savings. I am anxious, but not desperate, to know more. I am going to do this no matter what!
:D

Slowfoot

Additionally - Skip tooth sprockets...are they good or bad? Keep or replace?

However tempting some of the inexpensive bikes can appear, they just aren't built to last in these throw-away days. My kids get a new bike from the store every year. This is because they out grow them AND because the bikes literally fall apart. Don't let the flashy marketing and low price deceive you, stick to your rebuild projects and build something you will enjoy riding for a long time.

dogdart said:
SlowFoot said:
Additionally - Skip tooth sprockets...are they good or bad? Keep or replace?
they are good if you have all the parts .... and if I had to justify all the costs of my bikes , I'd have to find a new hobby :? :lol:

By all the parts, you mean...? I have the setup that was originally on the bike, including the chain.

((Please excuse the noobness))

a good working hub , they usually need just a good cleaning , the 50+ year old grease cakes up , a sprocket , and a chain , those old chains are pretty tough also , I've soaked and used some pretty sad looking chains . I love skiptooth bike , and have converted several from 1/2 inch to skiptooth :D

Back