Cottage Cargo Hauler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buddy of mine asked me if I could build him a bike to use at his cottage out at the lake. His cottage is a little ways away from the dock where he keeps his boat and he wanted something to carry all the stuff back and forth......life jackets,towels,food,cooler,etc.
I surfed the web for cargo bikes for ideas and found out that they can be quite expensive.

I bought a bike off Craigslist to modify and this is what I came up with.....
P1020640.jpg

Since I don't weld I had to make everything bolt on. I cut out these brackets to extend the wheelbase and lower the axle for a 20" rear wheel. This allowed room for the basket to sit lower and fit behind the seat and keep the bike level. The basket rack is plywood that is bolted to the fender brackets and stiffened up with aluminum angle iron.

P1020644.jpg

I changed the kickstand, lenghtened the chain and the cargo hauler was ready to go to work.

So far everything has held together and has been working great for him.

Later on,

Very cool and nice adaptation of a cruiser into a Cargo Bike. Was the Madison Bike an inspiration?

Would you consider making another set of dropout extenders, and at what price? That is way cool! :)

Back