Cottered Crank Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ii think I am going to take the frame to my LBS so they can telll me EXACTLY what I have. All this bb stuff is mind boggleing.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

those'd be Italian threaded, though.

the spindles themselves aren't uniquely threaded, you can use an 'italian' (70mm) shimano spindle with whatever cups you want as long as they hold eleven 1/4" balls.

while most LBSs are unlikely to have much, if anything in a non-campagnolo 70mm spindle, i'll repeat that there are several on ebay right now. ranging from 109mm-122.5mm one of them is bound to work for the OP if he indeed has a 70mm shell.

Last edited:
Oh... i didn't realize you were talking about the spindles "a la carte". That is a good way to go... buys a few more mm for the OP.

Took my frame to my local lbs this morning. Wanted them to tell me the bb size such as 73 or 70mm whatever. They had no idea what I was talking about so I still dont know. Never heard of English or Italian threads etc. What a joke that place was. Another shop did measure my spokes and said I need 242mm lengths.

Took my frame to my local lbs this morning. Wanted them to tell me the bb size such as 73 or 70mm whatever. They had no idea what I was talking about so I still dont know. Never heard of English or Italian threads etc. What a joke that place was. Another shop did measure my spokes and said I need 242mm lengths.

too bad that thread is locked...:D

just measure the width of the shell (the part of the frame the bottom bracket cups thread into). that will get you started...

sheesh...just spend three bucks on this and take your own measurement.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-utility-caliper-7914.html

image_17953.jpg

Back