Countdown to RRBBO-9! ...START!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not sure if I am in for the build-off, depends on weather at the time, I have some good plans though! Will not be going for the win this year, going for practicality, not sure if I can achieve it, don't have the best record... :21:

Current plan (may change) is a longtail all terrain touring/cargo bike, capable of carrying 750lbs (300kg) or so in the back racks, and capable of long distance multi-day touring without stopping for supplies... Rear wheel will be a new take on my fat-tire builds, but lighter and capable of carrying more load and approximately 26" diameter, front wheel will be the heavy duty 20" BMX wheel with disc brake hub I recently built up, so 203mm disc rotors front and rear, gearing that can run from a standard cruiser 2.5:1 down to 1:1.5 reduction gearing for the big loads. Maybe even a matching trailer?

Biggest issue I had is finding a front tire that can handle the loads, using the Sheldon Brown weight/width/load/psi calculator, looks like I can use one of the fat flatland BMX style tires such as the Maxxis M-Tread 20x2.1, rated to 110psi according to the calculator that should be able to handle 150kg. (300+lbs)

The tire I have put aside for the rear is rated to 850kg (1700lbs) so no problem there, just have to make sure the rear racks are centred over the rear wheel so that they don't put excess load on the front or too far to the back which would make it wheelie everywhere... :confused:

Even planning for powder coat finishing on this one, so I will have to get the building done quick once the build-off starts to give them time to coat it! Big plans for my most professional, practical bike yet! Going to try and keep it reasonably light too, under 40kg, 85lbs is my goal... (Half the weight of "BigJim")

Luke.

Edit: Just been thinking about 150kg on a 10mm quick release axle, not sure I like that, might switch the front to a 48 spoke doublewall 14mm axled rear wheel I have here and use one of those spin on discbrake adapters... http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...sc-brake-adapter---free-or-flip-flip-hub.html

Last edited:
Sounds like an LTJ build for sure! Just curious, why do you need to haul 750lbs on a bike plus pull a trailer? :eek:
I don't! But I love the look of those trekking/traveling cargo bikes, and I may as well go all out!

Luke.

I think a cargo bike with capacity is a great idea, may try to do one myself. As a part time deck builder and home remodeler, I could sure use a bike like that on the days it's just me and my tools.

Carl.

I think a cargo bike with capacity is a great idea, may try to do one myself. As a part time deck builder and home remodeler, I could sure use a bike like that on the days it's just me and my tools.

Carl.
Sounds like a plan Carl!

Luke.

You could even haul bricks...
loaded%20bike%202_0.jpeg

Sounds like an LTJ build for sure! Just curious, why do you need to haul 750lbs on a bike plus pull a trailer? :eek:
Been thinking more on this, I have for a long time wanted to do the travelling thing on a bike, it will never happen with the health issues my wife and I have, but I always keep track of what is happening with cargo bikes anyway, I see some of the ones for sale now and the cheap parts and high prices of some of them as well as the limited carrying capacity and I just want to do it better...

Luke.

You will need a flip flop hub for that disc brake adapter.
I will just use a normal rear hub as this will be for the front wheel and wont need anything driving the other side.

Luke.

I'd actually be more interested in something like a modified toolbox bed on the back. But then again there is this...
images

Merle.

Back