Couple of PreWars for the days haul

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First up is this rough boys bike with cool Delmar Simmons Hardware badge and long spring seat have it soaking in penetrating oil so I can start tearing it down any ideas on the year time frame and the maker
2011-10-22141630.jpg

2011-10-22141641.jpg

Second off is a Schwinn built Chicago cycle supply Lincoln boys bike that someone along the way decided to make a girls out of from what I was told it was a 37 but I don't know I just bought it because of the headbadge well that and it was only 12 dollars
2011-10-22141657.jpg

2011-10-22141711.jpg

I think the first one is a Colson. It almost looks like a long wheelbase Colson, in fact. I wouldn't know the year for sure, but I would guess late '30s. I don't know for certain on either of those things though, hopefully someone can correct or verify me.

What a shame, on the Schwinn. That would have been a really sweet looking mens frame.

Unchained said:
I think the first one is a Colson. It almost looks like a long wheelbase Colson, in fact. I wouldn't know the year for sure, but I would guess late '30s. I don't know for certain on either of those things though, hopefully someone can correct or verify me.

What a shame, on the Schwinn. That would have been a really sweet looking mens frame.

From what I've been reading it looks like a Colson I went over to a local guys house today and it matches the back half of his steer from the rear tandem. I've seen plenty of girls bikes made into boys but why someone would go the opposite way I have no clue I'm thinking about trying to turn it back

Simmons was a hardware company based in St. Louis and was purchased by Shapleigh in 1940, so the bike is most probably a late-30's. The brand Delmar was applied to a wide range of Simmons products, not strictly bicycles. One of the major thoroughfares in downtown STL is 'Delmar', Simmons was located on or very near Delmar, and either the Avenue or the namesake of that street very well may have been the inspiration for the Simmons product line name.

Compare to my Colson frames.
CRIM0001-2.jpg

CRIM0002-2.jpg

The blue one is obviously the sweet long wheelbase version. Also, the BB's are usually stamped with a 2 digit code, I think mine are stamped F7 (1937) and K9 (39). -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Compare to my Colson frames.
CRIM0001-2.jpg

CRIM0002-2.jpg

The blue one is obviously the sweet long wheelbase version. Also, the BB's are usually stamped with a 2 digit code, I think mine are stamped F7 (1937) and K9 (39). -Adam
I checked mine it has F7 on the bb and now I see the difference in lengths, I didn't realize there was so many frames of this same style my Cwc built bike looks a lot like it

Latest posts

Back