Couple of Schwinns -Updated

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Monday or Tuesday (can't remember) I responded to a CL ad for an old Schwinn cruiser. I liked that it had been klunkerized with a BMX fork and I could tell it had alloy rims which turned out to be Araya 7x. I will be doing just a mechanical service, swap tires, maybe play with the gearing.
20140329_173604.jpg

20140329_173756.jpg

The seller also had a cheap, off-brand 90s mtb. I paid $12 for it, spent about an hour of time and $3 in parts to get it going and sold it for $40. Not a huge profit, but $25 is $25.
20140329_073914.jpg

On the way home from the swap, I picked up another CL find, a 58 Schwinn 3 speed middleweight. Its pretty rough and the rims are newer alloy units. I will either part out some pieces and rebuild as a single speed coaster or just completely part it out.
20140329_165924.jpg

Sweet Scores.. I'm also diggin the red cruiser.. and the fact that it has the bmx forks already and Araya's.. Some ballon knobby tires and a good tune-up and its on.!!

The black Schwinn is a Jaguar MKII. Top of the line middleweight in '58. Missing tank and rack. Stainless fenders were only on Corvettes and Jaguars. No Schwinn script on top bar so this has to be a Jag. (unless it's worn off like the guard) Nice find. Gary

The black Schwinn is a Jaguar MKII. Top of the line middleweight in '58. Missing tank and rack. Stainless fenders were only on Corvettes and Jaguars. No Schwinn script on top bar so this has to be a Jag. (unless it's worn off like the guard) Nice find. Gary

I appreciate the ID and the tidbit about no script on the Jaguars.

Too bad the tank and rack are gone. It is also a bummer the front wheel and rear rim/spokes are not original not to mention the saddle and a bent handlebar. Were it not for those issues, I would be much more willing to keep it original. I am on the fence about parting it all out or making a nice running bike from the parts I have in my stash and selling what I don't use.

I figured I would throw up some new photos.

I started messing with the 81. Threw on some bmx bars, longer seatpost, and started to work on it. When I realized just how much the rear wheel was messed up, I stopped and threw it on CL as a project bike. So far, I have had the worst bunch of time wasters emailing and texting about the bike. Seriously, if you can't make rent because you bought something under $100, don't waste both our times...rant over
20140427_162110.jpg

The 58 Jag is a bit more of a success story in terms of it getting back on the road. Because it was missing a lot of original parts and the fenders were so banged up, I decided to strip off the 3 speed stuff and rebuildbit as a SS coaster. Threw on a newer set of alloy wheels, repop Typhoon Cords, and the bars from the 81. I love how this turned out, so simple and a solid rider. It is tempting to put a layback post on fir me to fit better, but I am in selling mode to clear the garage so my wife and I can both get the cars un the garage (but a backyard shed is coming soon!).
20140511_081053.jpg

20140511_081129.jpg

20140511_081228.jpg

Back