Couple of Trike Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at all of your sweet trikes over the last few nights, I decided I want one again for beer runs. Now did a search of the forum and found a lot of pictures of awesome trikes, but no answers to my questions so here they are. I picked up a 77 Schwinn Town and Country from the flea market a while back and never did anything with the trike rear end. as you can see its missing some things, like the sprocket for the axles, and the shifter arm.

DSC02801.jpg

My first Question is what kind of sprocket do i need for the axle, and how is it usually attached? any pics of yours?

Second Question, How do I remove the wheels from the axles? not sure if it has to do with these two things on the top and bottom?

DSC02799.jpg

DSC02798.jpg

DSC02800.jpg

I'm not sure what tool i would use to remove them?

And lastly, any ideas of where I could get some 26" hollow hub rims besides BicycleDesigner.com Love the 144 spoke look but just don't feel like spending $80 a pop right now. any just 36 spoke hollow hubs? I checked ebay and did a quick google search and mostly just found 20" and 24".

and here is the start of the project after mocking it up while drunk last night.
DSC02797.jpg

looks like a pin driven through the axle/shaft. Might be able to pound them out...what about wheelchair wheels? Some newer ones have mags!! About the sprockets, I see two in the pic....

So I decided since the rims that are on there right now are garbage anyway(very bent up) that I would just cut them off. So I got out the my trusty dremel tool and cut them off.

Bent rim
DSC02807.jpg

Whats left of the hollow hub after cutting it up
DSC02806.jpg

and all ready for some new 26"s
DSC02804.jpg

Is this the only thing i would need to use the 3 speed? besides the cable and shifter.
innerhub4.jpg

Here is the hub i have. Is that shifter arm the same as a regular shimano 3ccc shifter arm?
DSC02808.jpg

I was thinking about welding the two seperate axles togather with a sproket in the center, that way it would be like posi. just a thought, anyone have any reasons why that wouldn't work. :?: :?:

posirear.jpg

that shifter "arm" looks right to me (ive always called them elbow joints though)

the only thing about the solid "posi" is one tire may drag when turning, but shouldnt be anything major, maybe wear out the rear tires faster and might be annoying if it does cause noticable drag when riding. if it did bother you, you could always add a cart hub on one side that spun freely and just let one side drive the trike.

Thanks CCR, I think I could live with that.

I just called it a "arm" since i had no idea what it was actually called haha, now i know :wink:

kingofpainftw said:
Thanks CCR, I think I could live with that.

I just called it a "arm" since i had no idea what it was actually called haha, now i know :wink:

i have no idea what the "correct" term is, good luck with your trike, im still messin with mine too :mrgreen:

If you go with wheelchair wheels, you might be limited in the size and type of tires you can use. And they're more expensive than most, if that's the case. I got some 'chair wheels given to me (plastic mag type) and they have an odd sized tire. They are something like you'd find on the old ten speeds or English bikes, but not sure if they are the same. I've got one of the tires ,I'll try to get the exact size later. Also when looking for wheelcahir wheels, make sure they are for the air type tireed rims not the hard rubber ones.
Looking forward to watching your trike come together!
Chainy

I've got an older Worksman trike, here are some hub pics:

trikehub002rx3.jpg

trikehub003sn5.jpg

I haven't done any work on the trike at all, so I'm probably not the best source of info on trike hubs, but I'll be glad to take some more pics tomorrow when the light is better if you need them. Just PM me if you want any, I may not remember to check this thread again.

The Worksman website also had a picture of their hub on the website.It might be model specific:

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/movers.html#PAV3

kingofpain: I wouldn't weld the two axles together. you could see a bit of warpage that might mess with your riding. see in the last photo from GHC? that's a sprocket/coupler combo. I would search for one of those. might be pricey.

If you weld the axles together, it won't want to turn, the way they are now you can turn on a dime, weld 'em up and you won't like it.

you are missing the differential for the schwinn, they are hard to come by, but that is what makes them so sweet, it work's like a car diff, drives both wheels, but lets you make turns easy, most trikes only drive one wheel, so look for a diff? or maybe look for another trike or rear for parts, my trike is in the gallery and in my intro, will show pic later for you, also, you might give 24X3's some thought for the rear?

Back