couple starter questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started redoing my oldest bike to date, a 53 Huffy, and was startled to see a different color on the welds, the tubes are all silver and all the welds are gold in color.. my camera flash is too bright to really show it
100_3235.jpg

checked all the welds and they all look like this, so I am assuming this is factory.. again this is my oldest bike :roll:

also.. what is up with this seat post?
100_3234.jpg

has it been shaved at one time? the metal post that runs down inside the frame looks way newer, as does the bolt that goes down about 12" into it

one last question, when measuring the openings for forks (going with a springer set maybe) do you measure the outside of the tubes, or inside..

many thanks for any help

The frames back then were brazed, not welded. They heat up the tubes and join them with molten brass. The seat post is one with a wedge set up, like on a stem. Notice there is no place for a clamp. Thread the bolt back into the wedge and give it a little tappy-tappy to loosen the wedge. If it doesn't pull right out attach a seat to the post to give you something to pull on. Might need a little PB Blaster as well.

found out the tube diameter is 1 1/4", and the tube height is only 4"..

finding a fork for this is becoming a bit of a headache lol

may have to throw this on the back burner and find a new frame (with forks!) to tinker with :|

The 1" measurement it the OD of the steerer tube on the forks, not the head tube. And as for your 4" length, don't forget to add the bearing cups and lock nuts to the lenght for your steer tube. Just guessing but I think you should be looking in the 5 1/2"-6" range. If the Steer tube is too long, a good LBS should have the die to cut the threads lower on the steer tube and the cut off the excess length.

well.. thanks to a fellow forum member here i got some forks.. need to have them trimmed up a bit tho lol
100_3556.jpg

and of course I got a bit excited as the bike parts continue to grow, so i threw it together for a overall impression of it..
100_3558.jpg

can't wait...

going to have to do something about the truss rods once i cut the fork tube.. any ideas? Oh and then there's recovering the seat... and pedals.. and

summers going to be here to fast lol

Latest posts

Back