Covering chrome?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if chrome can be painted or does it just come off?
I commute by bike and being in Key West we can ride all year which is great, but the salty air chews up chrome and bare metal like crazy. I'm now looking at a chopper style cruiser for family rides (my commuter is way to hard to stay slow enough to hang back with their style of bikes). I like the switchblade and ghost rider/rat fink but worry about that chrome going to pot quickly. Do they sell painted forks for any of those? The straight 8 type frame doesn't have chrome which is ideal but from reading these forums, specifically: http://electrabikeforums.websitetoolbox ... er-5775515 it seems too small for me (165lb 6' tall). There are none in the area for me to try out so it's all a guessing game. Thanks in advance for any info!
-Brandon

IVe had a lot of success painting chrome on my last two bikes. SAnd down really well with
100 grit sandpaper reaching all areas. I find the professional grade red oxide primer,from
rustoleum to be awesome. two coats . For color ive been using black or white appliance spray
epoxy from rustoleum. Usually 3 to 4 coats of that, but give them a day's dry time inbetween
last 2 coats . I put on a very heavy final coat and it looks like glass.

Rizzoguy said:
IVe had a lot of success painting chrome on my last two bikes. SAnd down really well with
100 grit sandpaper reaching all areas. I find the professional grade red oxide primer,from
rustoleum to be awesome. two coats . For color ive been using black or white appliance spray
epoxy from rustoleum. Usually 3 to 4 coats of that, but give them a day's dry time inbetween
last 2 coats . I put on a very heavy final coat and it looks like glass.

All that, plus a coat of Adhesion Promoter (Duplicolor) before the primer.

My next project bike will have "clear copper" powdercoating over chrome. It will give the chrome the look of a brand-new penny...like the picture in the 3G Bikes link you see at the top of this page (sometimes). I'm sure the powder coating will add a measure of protection to the chrome. Stay tuned for my next project!!

Thanks everyone, exactly what I was looking for!
@ 55ColumbiaBuilt - Will that clear coating hold on a finish as smooth as chrome? Protecting the chrome and keeping the look would be fine by me, I just assumed it was going to have to be sanded to get paint/primer to stick to it. Interested to hear how your project goes!
Thanks again everyone,
Brandon

I put a chrome tank on my cruiser, but wanted it painted. I didn't want to sand the chrome because I thought I might switch back to chrome someday. I just cleaned the chrome with laquer thinner and primed and painted it with Krylon. That was 4 years ago and it is staying on just fine. Gary

I have had a lot of luck using Bulldog brand adhesion promoter. I roughed up some cheap chrome wheels with sandpaper and sprayed two coats of bulldog allowing dry time in between. Then I painted them flat white and the paint held up for years.

Thanks all! I wound up buying a used bike locally, a 2006 Felt Torch. Unfortunately the keys salty air took its toll on the chrome already, so the forks and crank are already very pitted. Don't think sandpaper will smooth that out enough to paint and would leave some cancer underneath it all. So the forks and crank either need replaced or - if salvageable - sandblasted. Not sure which way to go with it yet; it'll probably take having an auto paint shop look at it to see if sandblasting would do the trick, however, don't think we have any here in Key West. So I'm going to do some asking around locally for that and just replace if necessary. If replaced, I'd probably do Ozzmonaut's Bulldog idea followed by flat black. Thanks everyone for all the input!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
If everything ends up pitted, try a 'textured' to hide some if the imperfections.

Good luck, let's see some pics!

Cheers,
Dr. T

I wanted to post photos but only see how to insert links and I don't have them posted to a website, just wanted to straight up attach them to the thread but don't see where to do it. If there's a way, please let this n00b know :) Thanks

Here you go in case you missed it. Rat Rod made this awesome thread with step by step guide on how to post pics!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47

outskirtscustoms said:
Here you go in case you missed it. Rat Rod made this awesome thread with step by step guide on how to post pics!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47

I wasn't wanting to host them online like it said, just to upload. Suppose I'll make an acct somewhere when I get a chance. Thanks.

Back