Crack is Whack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Merlino Brother

A Heart That Flies on a Bicycle Budget
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to be a thing that needs to be addressed?

I do have the same donor hub but I was hoping for a few more months before I started messing with lacing wheels.

If this goes out once a month on paved rail trails, I am thinking it will be file.

Advice, work arounds solutions welcomed.

1720609071106.png

If it has cracked that far, it might remain stable or the wheel may become wobbly. There is a bit of steel in there for the bearings to run on, which may keep everything in order, or not, depending on what kind of paving you are riding on. The chances are you might have to push it home.

If this is your first wheel to rebuild, then take a number of photos of how the spokes are positioned, especially the pair that go either side of the valve.

Well it's a good argument for cleaning grease and decades of gunk. The thought bubble now fills with lacing two wheels with new spokes and one OG donor hub or tear down a Raleigh three speed for her rims and hubs. I suspect the latter may introduce physical size constraints.

Nice thing with the older three speed is the cable guides for the shifter are both pulleys in bolt on brackets. They could transfer to any frame but not knowing the gearing and having to skin the rims first is just a couple more nights in the shop.

Nice thing with lacing the rims is I move the learning curve up by a few months. I do have an LBS that can help if I fail so there is little risk.

Funny how one thing now creates a shockwave carrying alternate approaches to all the other builds being contemplated.

You Tube here I come.

Attachments

• 20240709_193234.jpg
    20240709_193234.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
That hub is gone. Would not use.

I was just checking out your other post. Is the plan to put a 3 speed hub on the spaceliner step thru frame? I think that is a fantastic idea! That frame is beautiful!

I also would NOT get a donor front hub from a Raleigh 3 speed. Raleigh did some weird things. Especially with their front hubs. I think I posted a video explaining it somewhere. I can probably find it if you’re interested.

One thing about the 3 speed hubs. The Sturmey Archer AW hubs are bullet proof. Love them! The AW is the freewheel version. The Sturmey Archer with coaster brakes are NOT reliable in my opinion. I have had issues with the coaster brake version and no longer use them.

The challenge will be adding rim brakes to the bike if you use a Sturmey Archer AW.

Keep documenting this one. I am very interested.

You gents are terrific! The encouragement is greatly appreciated. The donor hub is from another Spaceliner with worse rims that don't buff up so nice. Yeah, yeah, my beautiful wife already commented that they are more rat "this" way. So, the lacing would be from the same hub, brother bike. My opposing point would be, why not drill a plethora of holes and safety wire the broken pieces together, even as a steampunk sit on the shelf piece it would look cool. She, as a seamstress herself, it would be fitting but I do understand, safety first.

When I sat looking at the Raleigh last night, I concluded (without measurement) the rims are a bit larger. I'll have to check again tonight or over the weekend. (heck, I almost have 26" rims on a small Huffy frame without too much hacking). However, I would prefer the three speed on the full frame as opposed to the step thru if I was going to do it, at least that's the conversation in my head. Either way, it is a balance of how much I want to learn in the time allotted to learn it. Lacing looks like a great skill to acquire and I would bet better than welding (as far as two wheel vehicles are concerned).

PS: On documenting builds, I imagine that should be posted in the appropriate section on the site, would portions of the build being duplicated be acceptable so as not to lose the "How To" nature of specific posts and include such as links in the Builds section? Same question for contest Builds...

PS: On documenting builds, I imagine that should be posted in the appropriate section on the site, would portions of the build being duplicated be acceptable so as not to lose the "How To" nature of specific posts and include such as links in the Builds section? Same question for contest Builds...
Please keep build documentation in the appropriate sub forums. Especially when it comes to contest entries. It really helps with the continuity of the site.

No problem with how to remaining in how to and if you want to cross link that’s fine

So it seems like a few more doors opened. Tire size looks like the harder thing to figure out for the English rims. Fun stuff. Too hot to work so I'm reading about the confusing world of 26" tyres and tires while figuring out tyres. Honestly, or regrettably, all roads are pointing to ' if you rebuild the wheel, it will turn'.

What a cool sound on that hub, I think it might be my thing, three speeds on all builds.

I'm liking the coaster brake but any three speed disc projects out there?

some Raliegh hubs are 40 hole, but this is a great excuse to learn to lace and true a wheel. just take your time

Attachments

• 20240715_164631.jpg
    20240715_164631.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240715_164623.jpg
    20240715_164623.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back