Craigslist Hiawatha find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this one up Wednesday evening. Tuesday night a friend tipped me off to the ad on CL. Curiously it was listed as, 'Vintage Lady Schwinn with horn tube'. I emailed the seller right away and told him if it was still for sale I would gladly pay his $40 asking price. The next day he called and told me he had just finished lowering the price to $30 and would sell it to me for that price. :shock:

I met with him that evening in a dark, rainy parking lot. He was a super nice fellow in his 70's that said he used to be a bicycle mechanic. I thought that was especially strange since he called the bike a "Schwinn" even thoughit had the Hiawatha headbadge in place and the giant stamped 'HIAWATHA' on the chainguard. In his defense it did have old Schwinn grips on it but still...

After we chatted for a few minutes he told me since I drove all of the way up there to meet him (only 24 miles) that he would sell me the bike for $20. :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: He actually insisted on it. I didn't argue.

1f723c5e9d3b195778387a86e12ab9d7_zps8fe67b2b.jpg

629f7d0f5245d48b9c4e716d8708af8b_zpsfe0c5961.jpg

The bike is pretty complete despite the Schwinn grips. It also has one strangely small pedal. Initially I had considered parting the bike out but then began to consider swapping the springer out for a normal fork and re-doing the bike for my wife.

Today when I began to give it a bit more thorough inspection I noticed this. :cry:

de9c89ccb482fbefab3ec265d79c2fe8_zpsbaf71845.jpg

At first I thought the crack was a sure sign to part it out. Then I considered I could practice my welding skills trying to fix. I also had a friend suggest doing a 'sex change' on it. Not sure which option I will go with but pretty happy overall with the purchase.

Sweet find!

I think that is the bikes way of askin for a gender change operation! :mrgreen:

Probably THE coolest, "sex change" bicycle I've ever seen was done on one of these exact bicycles. It was done by 'Beau' and shown on this very forum several years ago. I looked for one for years hoping to replicate it.

Beausbike_edited-1.jpg

Then I met Beau and one day he just gave it me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It might be cool to build a second or maybe to have a before and after...

If I was going to do it I'd want to do it right and frankly my welding skills on bicycles have never met my own expectations. We'll see. I'm sure I could probably get my money back just by selling the tank.

Latest posts

Back