Crank ID help and crank type to fit???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Hi guys,

Maybe you saw this on ebay a few weeks ago. I thought it was too cool to pass up and if I got no help with making it work it would become a cool conversation piece. Hopefully someone on here can help. I have to assume becasue of the unusual size and crank attach placement of the collar that this is early 1900's. Not so much needing the manufacturer because it would go on a custom application, but I would like to know what type of crank assembly i need to make it work. I think it will require an early motobike satyle frame given the number of teeth OR the fact it is collared may allow it to be retrofit so that it doesn't hit the rear stays. In any case, any and all help, theories and discussion is welcome.

Thanks, Joe

RSprocket1.jpg

RSprocket2.jpg

I have a 70's or 80's Murray crank on which the pin is shouldered far back, as if to accommodate something like that. Is the distance from the center to the circle holes the same as normal 1-piece?

Good luck finding the needed parts. Looks darn old. rms37 maybe the best for a quick answer.

Just for fun what is the measurement between 2 holes center to center.

Interesting-

Odd that the bearing cup seems to be attached to it. That doesn't make much sense, but is sure what it appears like... good luck!

Looks like it could have been set up as a coaster brake on the crank maybe? Probably could have had a driver and a brake expander driven by the crank? Looks like it was bolted to other components. Very interesting!!!

Been thinking about this one. Google up a 1905 Nelk motorcyle. The Curtiss Museum in NY has an example, but no good pics of the rear end. I'm thinking out aloud here. But maybe this is an early Reading or a Reading Standard rear sprocket that was common on that era of motorcycles? Reading also built similar hubs for bicycles. All of the illustrations of Reading hubs I've found, show a smaller diameter sprocket than this one and have more webs stamped into the sprocket. It would be great if a nearby member to the Curtiss Museum could get some close up pics of the rear end to confirrm if I'm totally off my rocker or what? Thanks!!!

Hi if you realy like it like i do , i will take it to a machine shop and have it modified to my need :!:
sorry is you're sproket :oops:

maybe the cup is to simply offset it for some reason.. there are no wear marks on the inside, and no other things to show that it was used as some sort of brake system. i thought it lookied like a built bearing cup too, but again, no wear marks. hmmm...maybe it is to a motorcycle and its offset so the engines chain goes on the outside, and the regular crank chain goes on the inside.

Back