crank removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was wondering how to remove the crank on this mountain bike i have. do i need the special removal tool that i've seen around the internet? or is there a way to do it with no special tools?

if its a square taper your gonna need the tool, I have gotten em off without one but it always buggers up the threads or mating surface. :roll:

if its a single piece crank you wont need anything more than an adustable wrench and a screwdriver, just turn the non-drive side bolt clockwise to loosen it after youve taken the pedal off, the next nut comes off the same way.

if the cranks are bolted on you'll need a crank removal tool like this

http://www.parktool.com/product/univers ... ned-cranks

yea it has the bolt on crank arms. ugh haha. i'll need to get one of them tools. i should because i have quite a few of them junk mountain bikes ready to be messed with :D

if you have a bolt long enough that matches the thread in the spindle, you just take the crank arm bolt out, screw the longer bolt in and smack it with a hammer, this will push the spindle out the other side and slide the crank off at the same time. but you want to make sure the bolt is thread in all the way, otherwise you could tear up the threads on the spindle.

the tool is handy to have though, and there are cheaper versions made by other brands that work just as good.

CCR;
Good luck with that bolt, cranks use a M8 X which is proprietary to the bicycle industry. Normal 8mm bolts have a 1.25 thread. And I am not sure about hitting a bolt with a hammer that is threaded in.

Sorry,
The M8 x 1.0 exist, it is the metric fine thread.

c.p.odom said:
CCR... And I am not sure about hitting a bolt with a hammer that is threaded in.

Sorry if it seams crude, guess ive just messed with some really stuck cranks before, i've got the universal tool park makes, just leave off the spacer used to pushed the crank arm on, thread it in until it bottoms out in the spindle and whack it. ***add disclaimer here***

CCR said:
c.p.odom said:
CCR... And I am not sure about hitting a bolt with a hammer that is threaded in.

Sorry if it seams crude, guess ive just messed with some really stuck cranks before, i've got the universal tool park makes, just leave off the spacer used to pushed the crank arm on, thread it in until it bottoms out in the spindle and whack it. ***add disclaimer here***

This works OK if the crank is so stuck that you pull out the threads on the crank using proper tools.
Another solution for if this happens is to remove the bolt, spray in a dose of WD40 and take the bike for a little ride. It will loosen within a couple hundred yards.

Latest posts

Back