Crank swap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the older Schwinn dog leg cranks (chrome) will fit the '95 anniversary cruiser deluxe models? Mine has a black painted chainring and crank from new. I love the bike but never really thought the black crank and ring looked right. I'd like to swap it out for a chrome ring and crank if possible.

I'm pretty sure that it will fit as long as you have the original cones, bearings and etc. Gary

Thanks. I figured they'd probably be fairly standardised. But as I'll have to get one from the US (to England) I needed to be sure it'd fit. I've got a few crappy BMX cranks but I'd like a dog leg and Schwinn chainring.

Cheers :D

If the older cones, bearings and races are still good, clean 'em, grease 'em and use 'em! They'll last waaay longer than the newer stuff. 8)

From my experience some of the older bearings won't fit the newer races and vice versa. Just swap the races and bearings (whole kit) and you should be fine as most of the bottom brackets are the same diameter.

Even if the bracket sizes do happen to be slightly different, try using the older cranks , cones, etc., but with the newer bearings. I have a feeling that all of your older parts will fit fine as long as they are postwar. If not, chances are that the old cones will still fit newer bearings simply because they are cones, so they have a varying diameter

Not a brilliant pic of the crank but yes, basically the chromed version of this...
schwinn2.jpg

The black coating is peeling now and I'd just prefer it in chrome. Anyone got one?

Old schwinn and diamonback bmx= american OPC with 28tpi hardware and 9x 5/16" balls in a cage (#64)
Everything else, most likely including fairly recent schwinn repops, use 24tpi hardware and 10x 5/16" balls in a #66 cage.

I'm told that the cups are slightly different, too.

All of the frames' BB shells are the same, or close enough to work without any issues. If you want to put the old schwinn cranks on, get the complete BB if you can (cups,all hardware) and a new pair of #64 caged bearings.

hth
-rob

Back