Crank Teeth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to change the crank sprocket to a cooler looking one. I have seen different tooth numbers on different sites. Don't laugh I am still a newby. What does the count mean and what should I buy for my 26 cruiser?

The larger the count the larger the sprocket (or chain ring). The larger the sprocket the harder it is to pedal at slow speed or up hills, but the faster the bike will be at speed. You can also play with the rear sprocket, the smaller or which means faster/harder to pedal. The total diameter of your rear tire will play into that as well. If you've ever seen a 29er cruiser it's usually got a very small front sprocket because those big wheels are hard to get moving.

"How big" is personal preference based on you, your bike and your terrain. 46 is usually decent.

well I have adjusted the chain tension, and also the cone on the rear (I was told to tighten it to stop the play in the wheel then loosen a quater turn or so). and it still seems a effort to pedal. It a single speed cruiser and I mostly ride on flat surface (no hills in the area).

i would have to check (Its in the garage LOL and 3 am) its just a standard huffy 26 cruiser. (well I should say the frame is, everything else has been custom parted)

I just bought a set of aluminum wheels with a coaster brake to install on one of my single speed Schwinn Cruisers because it rode like a tank! I put the new wheels and tires on and it rode better but, it still wasn't how I wanted it to be...
So, I counted the teeth on the rear sprocket of the new wheel and it was an 18. I went to the bike store and bought a 19, put it on, and the bike is now one of my favorites!! That one tooth made the difference!!

Back