Crash and Burn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cry: Found this group of cyclist that do late night poker runs every other Saturday on Face book. Sounded like a lot of fun so I went to check it out this weekend. Bikes were mostly fixes and the guys got a kick out of my 68 Hotwheels. Got the first card and we where off to the races and didn't stop again for about 15 miles. I didn't have a very good light on my bike so I stayed close to someone who did. The ride was longer then I thought it would be and it was after midnite and I had a long ride back to my truck so I turned around by myself and headed back. Some of the bike pathes on the way back where pitch black and then it was over. I rode head on into a post that keeps motorized vehicles from getting on bike paths. My stupidity is going to be a costly one. I may have broke a rib or two and my right wrist my also be broken or ligament damaged. Trashed a few choice parts on my 68 also, brand new brooks saddle to mention a few.

Moral of the story Don't ride at night without proper lighting. :roll:

Sorry to hear about this. I learned my lesson about night riding unprepared this summer. I had enough light, but not enough experience on the trail at night to take it at the speed I did. Very lucky I rode away from it. We finished the trail that night (after going back for repair on my buddy's bike) but at a slower pace. As we got use to the trail at night we rode it successfully many late nights through the summer, getting faster and faster each time.

big Al, im sorry to hear that man. That's just not a god way to end the night. How did you end up making it back to your truck?

by you saying "might have broken a rib" you mean you haven't got it checked out? :shock: Hopefully its just bruised ribs. Hey, but I bet you showed those fixie guys that you can keep up with them on your custom cruiser 8)

Thanks guys,
Funny thing I layed there looking up at the stars trying to use the beauty of the stars to distract me from the pain. It took about 15 mins before I could stand to move at all. I had about 5 miles still to go and sucked it up and limped back to my truck. Adrenaline is a beautiful thing but once it wears off it's heck. My wife will tell you I've done sillier stuff. Crashed my motorcycle at 70 miles and hour, picked it up and drove home, with a broken back and no flesh on my body. lol I promised my wife then there would be no more motorcycles. Cruiser bicycles would be more safe. Ha. I do plan on making a trip to the doctor. My fear is that there is nothing they can do other than give me pills to ease my suffering. My experience with these things says it will just take time and space.

Glad to hear you're okay. I came off a Honda Magna going about 70 myself. They were doing road work and had no signs to warn of loose gravel and when I hit the gravel the rear end slid out and I went down. Bike got the worst of it but I still took some major road rash.

Man sorry that you got hurt.

Big props for going on a fast ride with the fixe guys!

I know what you mean about really dark. Few months ago my son's and I went on a ride with XC204 in Chicago's western suburbs..

Man it was dark! :shock: little blinky light just don't cut it out there could not even see the road.

Here in the city if you didn't have a light you could make it home no problem..... As long as you didn't get hit by a car!

Back