Cresent Racer,COMPANION build to RRBBO8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This and your quadracycle will be awesome!

One question, I'm trying to figure out the front wheels. They look to be rear wheel hubs, would you please go into some detail with some pictures of what you had to do to mount them to the spindle/kingpin?

Thanks, Rg

This is really great; you've even got air-cooling for your feet!
That seat would look great if it was done up with varnished wicker upholstery,
or some wicker side panels. It's really capturing the essence of the old
cyclecars from the teens and twenties.

raggedjim said:
This and your quadracycle will be awesome!

One question, I'm trying to figure out the front wheels. They look to be rear wheel hubs, would you please go into some detail with some pictures of what you had to do to mount them to the spindle/kingpin?

Thanks, Rg
Rg I'll show some photos of the hubs Monday when I get my camera back. But both yes and no to them being rear hubs. They are standard bendix red band coaster hub shells but they never had the coaster guts in them as they came off an old wheelchair. They came with cones for a 1/2" stud axel.

Re: Cresent Racer,COMPANION build to RRBBO8

Postby spectratone on Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 pm

This is really great; you've even got air-cooling for your feet!
That seat would look great if it was done up with varnished wicker upholstery,
or some wicker side panels. It's really capturing the essence of the old
cyclecars from the teens and twenties.
spectratone

Spectratone,the seat is one part giving me trouble at present--so what you see will be replaced---I really like your idea of varnished wicker---now where am I going to find a small wicker seat! That would look so cool.

I'll try tomorrow to get back on path with this build--today every time I started the wife had a Honey-do for me.Things I should put on FaceBook--see me doing this---see me doing that---I did get one spindle rebuilt--they flex at the joint where the axel joins the backing plate--I'm sure there is a correct name for these parts---but I'd also like to report---I had a great weekend--good bike ride---out-door night movie--and one of my bikes took best of 70s at a bike show---that's not all.On the way back from the show I got the sheet Alum to finish the racer! It literally fell off the truck. I spotted a white spot in the grass side of the interstate--a sign off an 18 wheeler--we stopped loaded it in the truck--got a 4X8 sheet of alum ! they had put it on with 4 alum pop rivits.at 80+mph it must have ripped off--sign said Safety First!

May8th up-date
Did these yesterday but didn't get the camera back till today. The joint where the axel stud meet the plate was too weak so I used this sq tubing to "BOX" it in and added new axels tru both old and new plates for a much stronger joint

frameteam2003 said:
We all have things in our lives more important than bicycles...but having some fun with bicycles ranks near the top
Got to agree!

I have a possible solution for your brake cable issue.
This is what I did on the 50 years muscle bike to extend the cable, you can also make it join one cable into two cables for dual rear brakes if necessary.

8726757405_3406128313.jpg

Luke.

Up-date May11. Did a lot but not much to show for all the work done today. Added a shim to the steering wheel
then I re-set the rear triangle. Spread the rearend for the wider hub, worked on the seat brace, added a derailer then started on the brakes.All I do to the Cresent Racer will pay-off in doing the Silver Moon velo.

Back