Crocodile Cruisin conversion to strider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~20 year old Magna 12" bike.
Very rusty drive line. Rusty rims. No training wheels.
This build is a conversion to a strider or balance bike. Many names for the same concept. Push and balance with your feet until you get the hang of steering and balance, then move on to a regular pedal bike. Skip the training wheels entirely.
I get dozens of bikes like this every year. The pattern is the same: Kid learns on training wheels, parents remove (and lose) the training wheels, kid out grows the bike, it sits for years, then I get it.
These sub 20" bikes used to sell for $39 so they are hardly worth spending any money on them. A pair of tires run $40, tubes $18, universal fit training wheels $20.
My preference is a conversion to a strider for $0. I've had some parents tell me their kids learn to ride far quicker on balance bikes vs training wheels. Other parents just don't get it so they keep buying bikes with training wheels. The Disney princess bikes come with white tires that a 3 year old girl can shred in 1 season. Again, not worth buying tires for. 10" or 12" bikes are the best for converting. 16" is a bit tall for young legs. Kids bikes have some highly variable frame designs. Lower to the ground is good. You can always raise the seat if needed.

BTW, the first ever bicycle was a strider. Baron Von Drais around 1805 or so. Long before tires, chains, bearings, etc. Made of wood and wrought iron by blacksmiths and wheelwrights.

I completely dismantled this bike including unspoking the wheels. The chrome rims were rather rusty but cleaned up about 95% with a good scrubbing. I sprayed the rims with some blue metallic semi clear to seal up the rust pits. A 12" radial spoke wheel only takes a few minutes to spoke up. They don't need to be perfectly straight for a balance bike. Crank & cups removed and filed in the metal recycle bin. Rear hub dismantled. The clutch, clutch drag spring and brake shoes are left out of the reassembly. No chance of the brakes slowing a kid down. Zoom. Cog, dust cap and retaining ring also in the recycle bin. This particular bike has a washer welded over the bottom of the steerer on the fork. ?? There was a small hole so it wasn't completely rusted. A rotary drill extender with emory cloth taped at the end was used to clean out the steerer and seat tube. Clean and lube the hubs and headset. Any 20 year old bike needs that. Slam the seat for tiny legs. This strider is fast and rugged. Could easily last another 20 years of abuse. A couple of safety tips. Chain guard support removed from the down tube as it's in the vicinity of the right shin. Rear axle swapped for one about 1" shorter so it doesn't stick out. Beats sawing one off and filing the cut end smooth. The longer axles are the norm for bikes with training wheels or pegs.

I've done about 30 of these now. Most have gone to day care centers or Toys 4 Tots. Hard to sell them to clueless parents. They would rather spend $300 on one from some catalog with a better sales pitch. "Your kid needs this to get ahead in life"

before and after photos.

Magna.Crocodile.Cruisin.45141451TD (1).jpg
Magna.Crodile.Cruisin.strider.JPG

strider bike did not work for my kids. They didn't get it. Now they have two unused 20" BMX bikes with training wheels they never touch. I give up. Figures, only someone like me with half a million miles of cycling would get two kids that have no interest in riding.

I have a nephew, well more like 15 nieces nephews and grand nieces and nephews. About 15 years ago my brother came for a visit. I got a sting ray out for the nephew to ride figuring it was about the right size. The reaction was meh, "that's a weird bike, I'm not riding it." Fast forward to college age. I tuned up a mountain bike for him for campus use. "Meh, I'd rather walk."

I have a grand nephew who was glued to his strider. No way he would give that up. used to tear around on it a high speeds. Never met the kid but they send videos of him going some 15-20 mph at age 3. Zoooooom. I made sure to leave a strider at my mom's house for his rare visits there. Hum "Can I carry my strider on the plane". I could just see him on it in an airport catching his connecting flight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back