Crossbrace handlebars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
ok dumb question but I need to know. I bought a repop prewar crossbrace handlebar off ebay. How the heck do I take the crossbar off so I can mount it?

Good question! I never dealt with a cross-brace bar before, but if the brace is not removable, I suspect you'll have to wiggle it around until you can coax the brace through the gap at the stem. You may need to remove the stem from the bike in order to do so...and without a doubt remove the pinch bolt so the gap is clear.

Yea I'm officially an idiot. Simple as removing the cinch bolt on the neck and sliding the crossbrace through it. In my defense I have a cold and the 4 or five glasses of whiskey I've had so far fighting this cold off I'm sure added to the stupidity lol. Problem solved. I'll leave this thread up in case someone else has an airhead moment lol.

I learned this the hard way, but here's how you mount them. You remove the bolt that that tightens the stem to the bars. Then slide the stem over one end of the handlebar, then as you get near the crossbar, you spin the stem upside down and slide the flat part of the crossbar through the gap in the stem.
Hope that makes sense without pictures..... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the sake of future reference, what Dr.Tank has posted is exactly right, but only applies to the older bars with the flat section of crossbrace where it meets the handlebars. For most newer bars from the bmx and moto scenes, you'll need either a stem with a fully removable face plate or you'll have to try to radically bend your stem to accept the bar, and reform it around the bars afterwards. The latter, of course, could damage your stem beyond repair, but a lot of folks have done it successfully.

Back