Cruiser Bike Gearing thru time...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the impression that the gearing of single speed cruisers has changed thru time.

My oldest bike has a 50t chain ring, a 18t sprocket and 26 wheels - 50*26/18 = 72 gear inches
I was looking at a new cruiser it had a 44t chain ring 22t cog and 26 wheels - 52 gear inches

I wonder if this is related to the average american's weight and fitness? I wonder if there is a plot through time of this somewhere that I haven't found.

mrfritz said:
I wonder if this is related to the average american's weight and fitness? I wonder if there is a plot through time of this somewhere that I haven't found.

Prewar boys bikes were usually geared with a 52T up front and 18T rear. Those gears will make a man out of a boy! Ever see films of WW2? Those 18-20 yr old "boys" don't look like the boys of today...they look like men. I think more people lived on farms back then and grew up doing real work but I also credit those tall geared bikes. 8) People now are wimps...generally speaking. That includes me. I wouldn't ride a 52T X 18T cruiser for anything. I like my Nexus 7 cruiser. :wink: Gary

B607 said:
mrfritz said:

Prewar boys bikes were usually geared with a 52T up front and 18T rear. Those gears will make a man out of a boy! Ever see films of WW2? Those 18-20 yr old "boys" don't look like the boys of today...they look like men. I think more people lived on farms back then and grew up doing real work but I also credit those tall geared bikes. 8) People now are wimps...generally speaking. That includes me. I wouldn't ride a 52T X 18T cruiser for anything. I like my Nexus 7 cruiser. :wink: Gary

I hoard nexus 7 hubs, they're my favorite! So it looks like it was after WW-II when the gearing dropped? I wonder if this is the same in countries like the netherlands?

I think a lot of this has to do with intended use and design. Pre wwII these where what kids had and they all wanted the fastest. Now a days cruisers are for older people who are not generally avid cyclists, Just people looking for a fun ride. Most avid cyclists have a nother type of bicycle for daily use and cruisers are just for fun. I commute with my cruiser but I had to do a lot to make it practical and stand up to daily use.

explains why my dad has 2 knee replacements and refuses to ride even a modern mtb at anything over 30 rpm.......... :wink:

chagovatoloco said:
I think a lot of this has to do with intended use and design. Pre wwII these where what kids had and they all wanted the fastest. Now a days cruisers are for older people who are not generally avid cyclists, Just people looking for a fun ride. Most avid cyclists have a nother type of bicycle for daily use and cruisers are just for fun. I commute with my cruiser but I had to do a lot to make it practical and stand up to daily use.

So kids today ride BMX bikes and FIXIES?

BMX bikes are almost all geared to 54 gear inches
FIXIES around here are 40/17 or so... 40 * 28 / 17 or about 60 gear inches

If I'm not mistaken the first penny farthing to go around the globe was 72 gear inches...

Back