Cruiser saddle hardware sourcing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good source for replacement saddle hardware: universal rails, springs, seat post clamp…the whole shebang? That hardware seems to rust first-ish and can be extremely difficult to clean and restore. I have some saddle shells (no hardware) and some saddles with rusted hardware. All the saddles are Felts, if that matters. Thanks!
36D27ED5-22CE-4E3E-A530-55BA60134AA2.jpeg
223578E7-A336-4034-A34D-E1AAD28BA95B.jpeg
35A738CA-DA63-4DCB-AC18-666A52D4495B.jpeg

That hardware seems to rust first-ish and can be extremely difficult to clean and restore.
Cousin Irontri:
Cleaning up saddle hardware ain't that hard. Take it apart, go over it with emery cloth and/or steel wool, wipe down with denatured alcohol, and brush on some Testors enamel (the little bottles). I've used Flat Steel (1180), Flat Black (1149), and Semi-gloss Black (1139), depending on the desired look. These all do well in covering up rust. And nobody looks at the saddle hardware that close anyway. Have fun!

By the way, does your forum name suggest that YOU are an Ironman?

Cousin Irontri:
Cleaning up saddle hardware ain't that hard. Take it apart, go over it with emery cloth and/or steel wool, wipe down with denatured alcohol, and brush on some Testors enamel (the little bottles). I've used Flat Steel (1180), Flat Black (1149), and Semi-gloss Black (1139), depending on the desired look. These all do well in covering up rust. And nobody looks at the saddle hardware that close anyway. Have fun!

By the way, does your forum name suggest that YOU are an Ironman?
Thanks for the suggestions. On between the springs is the most difficult part. I try cleaning them up for 2 reasons:
1-flipping a bike and having it look as nice as possible
2-keeping it for my collection and being as near mint/new as possible.

I’ll give those ideas a shot though.

To everyone else, I still haven’t found a source for full replacement hardware. Seat clamps yes, but not the rails, springs, and bracket. So strange.

Yes, I’ve done a few Ironmans, particularly in Kona…7x😉

Latest posts

Back