Cryptocyclology

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So, I'm working on a belated Christmas gift for a friend.... being that he lives close to work, and I'm forever messing with bikes on his back porch, he'd expressed interest in a bike. So off I go.

So, I find (hopefully) the perfect frame, and meet my New Best Friend in the process (MID MISSOURI FOLK: pm ME AND i WILL GIVE YOU THIS GUY'S NUMBER! He has literally mountains of scavenged bike stuff, all for cheap). But it bothers me, because I have ABSOLUTELY no clue what it is or whence it came. And it is, in technical terms, a Weird Frame.

So, any help would be appreciated....
mysterybikeresize1.jpg

the frame.... some eccentricities become obvious

mysterybikeresize2.jpg

The double..um...double tubes. Rather cool....

mysterybikeresize3.jpg

Eccentricities become more pronounced..... and yes that is a british 3 piece crank...

mysterybikeresize5.jpg

Going through cartridge bearings! Held in place by some strange process beyond my ken!

mysterybikeresize4.jpg

Aaaaand the chainguard.

Oh, add to the above that I have yet to find a serial number and the head tube isn't drilled for a badge. I'm really starting to think this thing might be homebuilt, but if anyone has any other ideas (including how to get those stupid bearings out! Gah!) I'm wide open.....

-Elias

Is that an old Mercury frame?!?!?

wow, i wish i could help you, that frame is wierd, its like some wierd offspring between the schwinn cantalevier (spelling) and a straightbar...looks Awesome!

...sorrry for the typos, i'm super tired.

skoda said:
It's a Raliegh built, maybe sold as a Western Flyer, but it's a Raliegh frame.

Ooh, interesting.... any idea where I could find info on these? Everything I can find about Ralieghs seems to center on Choppers or Sportes....

-E

That is a very cool frame. In motorcycle terms that is called a loop frame because of the obvious loop that the down tube makes. The motorcycles without the loop used the engine as a stressed member and were called keystone frames. Just some useless trivia!

Back