CUSTOM CAST HEADBADGES- Now Mounted 3-16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got this idea from weighting my kids pinewood derby cars. On the cars, I routered the bottom of car witha dovetail bit and then poured with melted lead. So for the headbadge, I just used a straight bit on a couple of designs. These are really simple to create.

The designs so far: "C", wrench head, snake, and some branded initials.

0314002127.jpg

0314002126.jpg

0314002115.jpg

Re: CUSTOM CAST HEADBADGES- Easy to do.

With some needle files you could clean those up to the point they'd look storebought. Neat idea. Gary

Thanks for the tip. Those would be handy for some other trimming too, down in the bends of the snake.

Now I just need to figure out how two attach. I don't think there is room for drilling holes. Maybe some two sided tape or some kinda glue.

That is a pritty cool idea! What did you melt the led with, and how did you pour it? To attach it, you could cut a circle or some other design as a plate biggenough to drill screw holes in, and then attach the letters to it.

Lead melts at 620 F, which is fairly easy to do on a camp stove . I used a cheap pot but it would be nice to find something with a pour spout. Make sure you have adequate ventilation(best outside).

Lead is nice because it is cheap to find. I found some other metals that have even lower melting points(160-250F) that would be interesting to try. The molds can be made from RVT silicone.
http://www.micromark.com/CASTING-METAL- ... ,8330.html
http://www.micromark.com/CASTING-METAL- ... ,8336.html

Use lead free solder in the plumbing isle and small stainless steel measuring cups bend in your own spout notch.

I think Lead-free solder would cost a fortune over my free lead. I am not too worried about the fumes as I do it outside. The cups are a good idea. I may try to modify the pan.

I added a second flat side to the mold with a sprue hole to pour through. I tested in on the snake and it works slick. Pictures later of one mounted to my bike.

run by some tire shops, im sure theyd give you all the used lead wheel weights you wanted, great idea clancy

Jeremy, I already have 50 lbs of the stuff.

Here are some pics of the snake mounted. I used some white silicone but I am going to rip it off and use some superglue.

0316001711.jpg

0316001710.jpg

Fun idea. Stain glass supply stores sell an acid designed to put a nice patina on lead. It may look nice with the other black details on the bike.

I have been thinking about doing some lost wax casting, but maybe I have been overthinking it.

great idea. how about carving more detail into them with a vibrating scriber or dremel?

In an art metals class I was in we carved our design for medallions into a flat slab of plaster, carved a trail to pour the metal into, and trails for air. Then we taped another flat plaster slab to it and poured the pewter in. this would work better for more detailing. Let me know if you want more info I'm not sure how well I explained it.

That is a great cheap way to make a good head badge , thanks for sharing! ..
i plan on putting nails in the mold to pre-make the holes at the right spot .. this could be a great tip , i think it will work ...
only one question before i make mine , will it bend around the head tube without cracking or do i need to heat it up just right before doing that ?

It will bend with no heat, easily. Interesting idea about the nails, but you could also pre-drill. i ended up superglueing them.

Back