Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is exactly the type of person I had in mind with this bike, I used 14mm axles and 48 spoke double wall rims, dual ply sidewall tires, all the good stuff, so seeing as I am completely incapable of doing any tricks, it should be complete overkill and last forever!

Luke.
Too bad your so far away I have you build him an oversized HD bmx-ish bike. after fixing his main bike 3 times in less than a month (not counting the full tune up the month before) I told him if he wants to ride that hard I'm not fixing another bike for him.
Think the biggest issue is he likes jumping anything he can (even goes on and off curbs non stop).

This bike is an awesome and refreshing change from the low slung upside down handlebar droopy pants bikes. Not exactly a RAT, but fabbed from second hand parts in the true rodder tradition. I'd ride it.

Carl.

This bike is an awesome and refreshing change from the low slung upside down handlebar droopy pants bikes. Not exactly a RAT, but fabbed from second hand parts in the true rodder tradition. I'd ride it.

Carl.
Thanks Carl!

I think one of the coolest things about your build is, it looks clean enough to be a production bike, wouldn't be surprised if you get asked " where did you buy it" ? ,great job!!!!
:grin: I actually hope someone sees it and tries to look up on the net where to buy one! :rofl:

That is one clean bike. I agree production quality but much cooler on the design of anything out there.
Thanks Moisstink!

Been thinking about losing the Gyro off it, proving hard to find a cable locally, I know I can get one easy enough on the net, but it appears they have fallen out of favour with the BMX crowd, only saw one BMX with a gyro in the three stores I visited today, and it was old stock...

I know they are more moving parts, more weight and some people have trouble adjusting them, but I wonder why they are no longer popular?

Probably just set it up without it and order a cable so I can switch it when it comes in, I really just want to go for a proper ride already!

Luke.

Did pick up some new bottom bracket and headtube bearings today, I gave the old ones a good clean and grease before they went back in but they must have been worse than I thought, still a little bit crunchy...
:crazy:

Luke.

Did pick up some new bottom bracket and headtube bearings today, I gave the old ones a good clean and grease before they went back in but they must have been worse than I thought, still a little bit crunchy...
:crazy:

Luke.
I know the feeling; seems half the bearings I clean and try to reuse seem to be a bit "crunchy"

I know the feeling; seems half the bearings I clean and try to reuse seem to be a bit "crunchy"
They looked ok, I won't say great, they were quite rusty when I removed them so I must have missed something, but new bearings are cheap, the cups and cones are in good shape so may as well fix it right!

Luke.

They looked ok, I won't say great, they were quite rusty when I removed them so I must have missed something, but new bearings are cheap, the cups and cones are in good shape so may as well fix it right!

Luke.
Cheap as long as you don't have to do all your bikes lol.

It happens from time to time when the bearings are worse than they look.

Somehow I missed this entire thread....spent almost an hour reading every page. And it was worth taking that hour. That is one fine bike you built, Luke.

What MIG welder are you using, and what size MIG wire? Your welds look very nice, even your tacks are clean as can be.

I can't wait till I get a real electrical service at my garage and can plug in my welder....then it's off to the races with projects...Right now I have to limit my welding to small stuff and I still blow the breaker at the worst times...

Somehow I missed this entire thread....spent almost an hour reading every page. And it was worth taking that hour. That is one fine bike you built, Luke.

What MIG welder are you using, and what size MIG wire? Your welds look very nice, even your tacks are clean as can be.

I can't wait till I get a real electrical service at my garage and can plug in my welder....then it's off to the races with projects...Right now I have to limit my welding to small stuff and I still blow the breaker at the worst times...
I use a MagMate 180P, which I believe is a rebadged Kemmpi: http://www.bocworldofwelding.com.au/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/33/

0.8mm solid wire and 60% argon/co2 mix at 12L/min for the gas.

Really for building bikes, very little compares to a decent gas Mig, a Tig is cleaner and neater but I find it too slow so it ruins my creativity, also your joints have to be ground much better as it is much harder to gap fill than a Mig set up.

0.8 and 0.9mm wire seems the best for welding the thin bike tubing but still being able to hold the amps for thicker joints.

Looking forward to seeing your builds once you are all set up! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Had a spare hour today, so threw some parts at it and went for a ride:

14639048724_5d982f168e_z.jpg

Still have some changes to make, the bars are too small, just look silly now the frame is so much bigger, so will swap them with some others I have, need a new/better seat, lower gyro cable and front brake cable, pedals and just a general parts clean up, but I have to say, it rides so nice!

Nothing like a bike that actually fits! Gearing is good with the 42/13, maybe a bit high for park riding, but great for cruising, the oversize 2.4 tires just barely fit in the frame and forks and they are also sticky so they flick sticks and small stones everywhere, making a constant tinkling sound, but I am sure that will go away as the newness goes out of them.

Close up of the graphics:

14640794612_9a91309792_z.jpg

Luke.

Great Job!

Great Job!
nice job, Looking good. Something about the name and location makes it look like a high end BMX bike......
Nice!!!! I totally forgot about your build! :oops: Just had to read a few pages back.....awesome job Luke!
GREAT STUFF BUDDY. WICKED BIKE
It came out sweet looking....
Looking good, Luke.
:113: Looks really good... but when do we get to see a riding video? o_O

Glen.
Thanks everyone!
Riding video will be soon Glen, going to tear it down and fit new bearings, new seat and grips ordered along with the lower Gyro cable, then I can get a decent video... ;)

Luke.

Latest posts

Back