custom head badge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know of a way to create a custom head badge? trying to find a way to replicate this to put on a bike i'm building to match an ac cobra my pops just bought. though it would be a cool idea to have the same badge from the steering wheel on the head tube. i've found some badges online but most aren't as flexible as i'd want and this girl makes them, but charges around $80 for one and i can't spend that much. she works in sterling silver which i could do, but it would be hard to justify buying all the tools for just this one time.

i was thinking maybe using aluminum sheets to cut out the design?

just found out that the replacement badges you would buy to put on a car are resin with a thin metal backing. the woman i spoke too said they aren't flexible but i'm thinking maybe a short stint in the oven would make them plyable enough to bend to the desired shape?

There is a guy in NY that makes custom badges. He sells them on ebay occasionally. Handmade but totally professional looking. The ones he was working on in the pics I saw was a Colson badge. He had a little machine that he put the badge through and cranked it to give the badge the right curve. You might keep an eye on ebay bike badges and maybe he will pop up. Gary

cut off an old headtube the same size and lay it on it and bake...
was thinking that same thing but not sure if the resin will melt before the metal gets hot enough to bend?

you could try making your own. I cast some in wood using melted lead. You could carve your design in plaster too for more detail
great idea but i don't think i could chrun out a quality design in the time i have. something like that would be awesome but i'd have to try a few times to get the hang ya know?

He had a little machine that he put the badge through and cranked it to give the badge the right curve.
that would be perfect if i could find the right machine. maybe if he pops up ill send him a message. again though i'd have to get the badge to the right temp to bend it without the resin melting away...

I think I'm actually going to use a patch like the ones you would put on a jacket. Either heat the glue on the back and apply or use some clear silicone and apply it that way then possibly think of some kind of sealer to help protect it when it rains.

Back