Custom Light Bar,...Winter Night Riding.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since sucky ole DST just hit, gonna be dark now every night when I get home. Can't bear to sit around the house every evening and not ride so, I decided to make me a custom light bar for the fork of the custom 26" BMX'er. Just picked me up a new flux core welder because my old one of about 6 years just crapped out on me, took a section of 7/8th pipe and welded a half inch nut on it to mount to my forks for a couple of L.e.d lights. The lights came with a bracket to mount to the handlebars but I just didn't like the lights up so high, didn't look right. The light bar I built and painted is slim and compact and you almost forget it's there, worked out perfect, nice and bright. Simple but works great,... :wink:
Picture129.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Picture132.jpg

Thanks, they are made by Bell, called dawn patrol. Really bright lights, I've got about 3 hours of total ride time on them so far and still shine bright.

I am still scratching my head over what to do about lighting. When Cody and I ride the trails at night, we rely on our helmet mounted lights, I have an old LED flashlight that's nice and bright... for a while. He has a headlamp that he cut off the strap and attached to his helmet, it's something like 140 lumens, has a dimmer, and adjustable beam, it's AMAZING! Cost about $40.

I want something BRIGHT because we ride fast in the woods in the middle of the night, but I don't wanna pay over $40 or I could've gotten a light like his. I don't wanna be brighter to be competitive with him, I just wanna be brighter because we both benefit from each other's lights riding together. Sometimes I just shut my light off and rely on his light behind me.

These Bell lights sold locally are decent, but not what we need in the woods.

This 900 lumen light looks like the ticket, but I'm really having trouble letting go of the $39.99 plus about $10 shipping (from Hong Kong). I need a coupon!!!!

http://www.goldengadgets.com/900-lumens-bike-light.html

I would say these lights project a good 15 feet or more and each light contains 3 led's, they are great for the riding I do in neighborhoods, price point is also good. I actually have an extra pair of these, 4 would really light things up!

Cool, I have to figure out a setup for my bike so I can set up dual quads with turn signals above both quads like was done on 58 Plymouths but in chrome not black plastic.

Sorry I'm thinkin they are national, its a Wisc. based midwest chain like Home Depot.

If you`re trying to trail ride fast, you need real off road lights. There`s really no comparison, especially if you`re in heavy woods...

Back