CUSTOM OR RESTORE?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a scrap yard, and someone dropped off a Schwinn Stingray. I believe it's an early 60s. Every thing is there except some odds and ends, missing front brake levers and cable and reflectors. it has a 3speed thumb shifter on the handlebars. hand breaks and coaster brakes. It seams like a base model bike, no fenders (or evidences there were fenders). Solid front fork, lucky 7 sprocket. Basket weave treads front tire, and the big fat black slick in the rear.

Frame is in great condition, just needs paint. Most of the odds and ends just need polish. BUT, every thing on the rear of the bike is rusted, rear wheel doesn't move at all, and I’m not sure if the gear work any more.

I'm not sure if I should restore, Custom, or leave as is and just get it running? I'll have pics up tonight.

You are correct sir! The krates are worth upwards of $1200.00 to the right buyer in complete condition. This is due to that fact the they were much more expensive and less were sold. The string rays on the other hand are worth as much as the person that has is thinks it's worth. So my vote is

Hella Custom!

Check the serial number (on the left dropout if it's 60's). I believe a 63 is worth more than any other year.

i know this site is about rat rodding and customizing...but total RESTORE to original...it'll be worth more to collectors...

Well Im building a lowrider now, "the wal-mart speacal"(i like to call it) Its a replica stingray, classic lowrider parts, Will have Tangolo paint gold rims and chrome everything else,Cheatah print covered seat
.This Schwinn how ever is actually the first real schwinn I've ever owned, I've build plenty or lowriders,and rats. But never restored a bike, so Im thinking resto, on my first schwinn, but Ill have pics up later tonight, I got cought up last night on the LR.

You would be surprised how well that Schwinn paint will come back to life. And if a 1963, it will be worth more with old paint than new paint.

if it was originally a 3 speed with a 36t it should be a 65-68 roughly.

3 speeds became available in april of 65 and they stopped using the 36t on standard stingrays after 68.

Is 36t the thumb shifter on the handel bar?, I have also noticed that the chain gaurd has a little flair to it( right above the rear wheel and a fat race slick (not treaded) rear tire...sorry I haven't set up a flicker account yet. I've been in the garge workin on my lowrider as much as possable befor Xmass hits, Dont need bondo and metal dust in the xmass boxes!

nah, 36t means a 36 tooth sprocket at the pedals, the 36 tooth sprockets had 7 holes in the sprocket, the bigger sprockets were styled like a mag wheel.

depends one option would be to custom the bike with bolt on parts and save the og stuff. that way if it turns out to be rare there is no reason it cant be returned to stock. i would try to clean the original paint if at all possible unless it is totally shot and even then i would leave it. my 66 stingray has nada for paint look up route 66

Back