Custom ReLacing Pattern for 28H 3-Speed???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Ive been spending WAY to much time on google trying to find out how I can "flash up" my current wheel/Hub combo so I thought Id ask. I even searched on the site but it seems thats 28H is not very common.

Anyways, I have a 3-Speed SunTour hub that is 28 Hole inside a 20" rim on my lowrider. There is enough meat in the hub flange to double the spoke count to 56, and I am keen to re-drill the rim to 55 Hole (56 - Valve Stem)

After days of googleing I cant for the life of me find a spoke pattern that A) Looks Cool, and B) Suits a 56 hole setup, its just not heard of. My 1st thought was to drop another 3 spokes (leaving me with 52 spokes) and do a 6 Lead 6 Trail setup, which would actually be a 6/5 setup (as 52 Divide 4 = 13) and im no expert so I dont know if this would work. My inspiration comes from here http://www.instructables.com/id/Custom-star-bikewheel/?ALLSTEPS

Ive never laced a wheel before, and trying to figure out such a pattern by myself is a bit daunting.
My next idea was to drop another 4 spokes, which gives 48 and run a 3 Lead 3 Trail setup and fill the mising spoke holes in the rim with something cool, essentially a fake valve.

My only reasoning for re-spoking the wheel is I want an eye catching spoke layout, if could go 144 spoke radials on the 3-speed hub I'd look at going that route, but time, $$$ and knowledge are my limiting factors (LOL) My idea was that the 6 Lead 6 Trail would be something different in a sea of 144 Spoke equiped Lowriders.

So if someone can point me in the right direction, or advise if this will work or fail that'd be sweet,

Cheers,

Rob.

Latest posts

Back