custom seat post... (layback?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I need to get my seat farther back over my wheel. Does anyone have or can make me a 1 inch post that has a 7/8 seat end? I think its Ghentcruisers that has one but it looks like 1x1. Im surprised they dont make these for all us rat builders... Any help would be appreciated!

Recheck your posting later, there are a couple of people who make them, sometimes they come up in the "Swap Meet" forum. BMX sellers used to carry them, but I don't know if any still do. There are a couple of "how to" postings look for "zeat post"

4oclockfriday said:
Help! I need to get my seat farther back over my wheel. Does anyone have or can make me a 1 inch post that has a 7/8 seat end? I think its Ghentcruisers that has one but it looks like 1x1. Im surprised they dont make these for all us rat builders... Any help would be appreciated!

I've made one like this:
IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

So you need 1" at the seat post tube in the frame and 7/8" where the seat clamps on? How far back do you want to go? Can you post a pic of the bike it'll be going on? I looked at the one made by Ghentcruisers...I've seen similar designs here on RRB. You could make one yourself! I'll subscribe to this post, let me know if I can help further. :mrgreen:

Heres the bike its going on. Please let me know if you have any ideas or know what I can do. For $30 it might just be easier to get the one from Ghent? I want the seat back at least 4" but closer to 6".
rat.jpg

Ya I definitely want it low and just above the tire. I think I may just buy the Ghent one for $30. I dont have a welder so the trouble of getting the tubing and paying someone to weld it all when I can have it shipped to my door in a few days makes more sense. If anyone happens to have one laying around or wants to make one like this
post.jpg
please let me know!

I'd make 'ya one...but I don't think I could do it for any less... :| That's a fair price from Ghent...He's a RRB member btw... :mrgreen:

Ya I thought it was real fair and the guy replies fast and seems like cool dude. I ordered one yesterday from him! Cant wait to ride over my tire and feel the mud slap my back! Ha!

rat.jpg

Pull your seat post and seat clamp....cut down the seat post tube about an 1" or 2" (based on this pic).....remove the seat from the seat post and use a conduit bender(HomeDepot rents them if you don't know an electrician) start the bend from the top (where your seat attaches)....bend a little then test....if you want more repeat....

4oclockfriday said:
Cant wait to ride over my tire and feel the mud slap my back! Ha!
You're alright by me!! I rode around after it rained last night...Got a nice stripe up my back! :mrgreen:
P.s. Working on a super custom seat post for those "Orange County Chopper "Schwinn" made in China choppers...Stay tuned...

bikeriderx said:
4oclockfriday said:
Cant wait to ride over my tire and feel the mud slap my back! Ha!
You're alright by me!! I rode around after it rained last night...Got a nice stripe up my back! :mrgreen:
P.s. Working on a super custom seat post for those "Orange County Chopper "Schwinn" made in China choppers...Stay tuned...
Not a layback...But it was fun (and easy) to make...
IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Latest posts

Back