custom seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally getting around to posting this how to. While processing the photos I noticed there could have been some more images but I think there are enough to give everyone an idea of how it was done. Since the bike is influenced by the bobber motorcycles I patterned the seat after what seems to be the current trend in customizing.

STEP 1: With some pictures from the internet I created a cardboard templete to get a feel for the shape I wanted. Using an electrical panel door I found, I cut out the seat shape using an air cutter. Measurements ended up 13" long X 9" wide. The edges were then filed and sanded to smooth them out.
cuttingoutpan.jpg

STEP 2: Holes for the lacing were drilled next. 3/16"holes 3/4" on center 1/2" from edge
panwithholes.jpg

STEP 3: I shaped the pan using the largest steel tube I had which was an stand for an outdoor unberella. By using a rubber mallet i was able to get a smoother bend without putting dents into the metal were I was stricking it. The back curve started about 3" from the back edge. Basically I beat on it then sat on it to see how it felt. I gave the sides just a slight curve for comfort but not so much that it could be confuse with a bicycle seat.
panfinalshape.jpg

shapingpanback.jpg

shapingpansides.jpg

Step 4: I decided the pan was feeling a little flexy so added some supports. This also helped to re-enforce were I drilled for the carriage mounting bolts. The original springs were to weak for my weight so purchased these motorcycle springs online. They also helped to create a nicer look.
panunderside.jpg

Step 4: A trip to my local Tandy leather and some advice from a nice old man help me create the leather cover. Was originally going to use one piece of leather and carve into it but when I saw the branding marks on the one piece I knew I wanted to use it so came up with this design. Once the pieces were sewed together I traced the seat out line onto it and used a hole punch to create the stitching holes. The back piece that is thicker seems to lay better then the thinner front piece. I wanted this to be a bite "Manly" so did not use any padding but had an old gardners nealing pad I was originally thinking of using for this. Maybe next time.
finishedseat2.jpg

Step 5: I bought a piece of leather cord from my local art supply store. It came in a 3 meter pack and I used all but 4 inches of it. Starting in the back I wrapping it counter clock wise all the way around until I ended up were I started. Then I switched directions an went clock wise till I ended up were i started. To tie it off and give it some decoration I threaded it through some brass rings and a bead my wife had then crimped it off with 2 more pieces of brass tubing.
bead.jpg

A couple of more views:
finishedseat1.jpg

finishedseat3.jpg

If you want to use padding just stop it at the inside edge of the holes then use thinner leather which can be wrapped around the edge.
You would then need to punch holes in both sides of the leather to wrap.

ttt
That seat is Way Cool. I too will be Duping your work on this one. Thanks for Sharing. Keep up the good work. I might even retro fit some old torn up seats to breath in new life into them.

I Ride this once here and there.
S5003227.jpg

Other Member's seats that I have saved to the photobucket account. Sorry I dont have the members names saved too. Sorrry.
Super_Rat_Bike-pvwacko001e.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02334.jpg

Look in the gallery, I remember that one was a shove on a bmx bike....

Sinner4 said:
Other Member's seats that I have saved to the photobucket account. Sorry I dont have the members names saved too. Sorrry.
Super_Rat_Bike-pvwacko001e.jpg

Look in the gallery, I remember that one was a shove on a bmx bike....

I covered that seat later.
IMGP3726.jpg

And here's one made from a #2 shovel.
IMGP2333.jpg

this is another!
IMGP3808.jpg

IMGP3811.jpg

Latest posts

Back