Custom shifter knob help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to install an 8-ball onto my 5 speed simplex shifter.. How do I get the old one off? How do I cut the hole for the new one?

b2db6413.jpg

3d4bbb40.jpg

8ba26076.jpg

350f5d5d.jpg

First off please wait for other replies before doing this.

From the looks the original knob it is pressed or glued on. If you want to save it, might look for some wiser advice, otherwise pull really hard or cut it off(the plastic not the metal).

As far as getting the other one on, cutting the hole, if you do not know anyone with a mill, take a drill bit that is one size smaller than the width of the shifter bar. Then drill several holes in a row the length of the bar on the bottom of the 8 ball, and tap it on, if it is still to tight clean up with a file, if it is loose then use some tin foil and epoxy or lock tight to hold it on.

Now this is the redneck way of doing things, there is probably a better way, but if not give it a try.

i made a cradle fixture for my drill press and stepped the sizes until my hole in the eight ball was large enough. Then i used a nut-zert and threaded the end of the shifter to match. easy on and off.

The original knob is likely co-molded on. It would be a shame to destroy it.

Back