CWC Western Flyer, brought back to life

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like RVA has been put back on the map. Cruisers go way back in RVA's history,back in the early 80's,we had Cruiser races,single speed fat tire bicycles,with NO RULES! The black Label 500,Tin Man,where the prize could be a case of Black Label,or pigs feet,but,you had to get by the Hot Punk Rock girls,at the Pit Stops,they'd distract the one in the lead,while we would loosen a rear wheel nut,let the air outta the tire,heck,even lock the sprocket with a lock with no Key! We are still a bike town,just most of the tires are skinnier!.................Oh yeah,I still ride the same Schwinn,since 1983,at the moment,it's 3 miles to work,where I deliver pizza on a Worksman Low Gravity!

No,we are/were, just a bunch of Punk Rockers,living life to it's fullest!........RVA,is quite a town,we have always had a great music & art scene,as a matter of fact,there's a Picasso exhibit at the VMFA!......Music wise,for those Punk Rockers out there,White Cross & Gwar is from RVA,both bands still playing!

I am thinking about organizing a "Poker Run". There would be 5 stops (participating restaurants, bars, bike shops, whatever), along the route where each rider will receive a playing card. The person with the best hand after the ride is over wins. If we can get a restaurant or something involved maybe they could provide gift certificates or something. Mainly just a cruise for single speed fat tire bikes. Something around the Museum District, Carytown, Fan/VCU area. Philip and I would build trophy's to be given away for silly reasons (tough luck, raddest, oldest, rattiest, prettiest). You get the idea. We'll have some fun.

Maybe even some RRB sponsorship with some stickers and stuff?

The races these days are far more complicated,which makes them far more challenging,but am not gonna disclose another groups game rules...........As for myself, I ride to work,ride while working,ride back home,& race from delivery to delivery,making $ & friends along the way.................have fun!

sweet bike dude! 8) funny thing is i like the 'ugly' side better than the shiny side :mrgreen:

I think you totally had the right idea about this bike. It's hard to resist over-restoring something I am totally guilty. The "good side bad side" is a fabulous element to the patina and you should certainly be proud of this bike.

Way to go, Man!

DonQui said:
Nice bike! Turned out great.

So how far is da ride to work??? :D

About 8 blocks, LOL. I am going to put a smaller front sprocket on it. The one on the bike is a 26 tooth; equivalent to a 52 tooth :shock: You just can't ride it at a laid back pace. Since it is literally stop sign to stop sign all the way to work, I need mo easier peddlin'! I have a 22 or 23 tooth sprocket to try. I just need to score a chain breaker. Been too busy this past week to worry about it.

Thanks guys for all of the great comments. :eek: I'm glad everyone is enjoying it as much as I do.

You might wanna look into find a New Departure 2 speed,or a new 3 speed,with every other tooth taken out,instant 1 inch pitch!

$he's got flavor all her own I imagine she's a real pumper on takeoff but laid down kruiser when she's movin'.

Turned out awsome!! Thats gettn around with style!!

kLUNKbOMB said:
$he's got flavor all her own I imagine she's a real pumper on takeoff but laid down kruiser when she's movin'.

LOL, you're right about that! I'm working on a Bendix 2 speed Kick-Back hub. I don't know what to do about the skip tooth set-up at the moment. I want to keep it. Looking at options right now. I may make a sprocket for the hub.

i was checking out the one pix you had and hadn't read the article yet. i assumed you had bought the seat...it looked that good! good job on the process pix. the bike looks fabulous!

Hadn't posted in a while. Went for a ride to breakfast with the kids this morning then around the neighborhood. I was messing around with a new app on my phone. Thought this looked great.

2011-05-11_19-39-20_753-TomSubtleOld.jpg

Latest posts

Back