Damon's Demon Serial #665

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, you read that correctly, I'm building the devil a bike. LOL Not really but close to it! One of my best friends in Denver CO is named Damon Bruno and his nickname is Damon the Demon. He's not harmful just mischievous as any single 52 year old man would be. You know dirty old men need love too right? Lets just say he's a hellot of fun to be around and leave it at that.

So this build started out as an Idea I had to blend the basic components of an E-bike with a fat tired cruiser and it has metastasized into a crazy custom with evil intentions. Just some of the components to start with are the basis of the project, a 500W 36v geared brushed permanent magnet hub motor with standard speed controller and a twist throttle. Also I'm going to be using several parts from Dirty Dog Mtb. Check them out at http://www.dirtydogmtb.com I'm going to be using the Skull handlebar clamps and the Spider discs both in the front and rear.

Another unique feature is I'm replacing the standard chain and sprocket for a belt drive unit I'm designing. Last week I found a source for belts and pulleys in the most unlikely place and with a little machining they should work fine! The frame will have similar lines to a classic Schwinn but will have a Heim joint fork connection and 24"x3" wheels front and rear. I'm designing a complete one off springer fork and the seat will be suspended. I should have the sketches finished up later today and some of the parts ordered. There will be a nice headlight and some LED tail lights in the mix. I'm thinking I want to use fenders of some sort but we'll see what I can fab to work with the 24"x3" wheels. I don't have any more Norton fenders like I used on PW's bike. I might be able to find some alloy mudguards for old Triumphs that should work.

The paint scheme will be a combination of semi gloss black, flat black and gloss blood red pin striping. Just enough color to add to it but not over power its blackness! I know all you Jesuits out there are cursing me for even thinking of this but its all in good fun. Like a Halloween project. :mrgreen:

Comments and criticism welcome...

Later Travis

BigHit, yeah I just checked out your blog, that looks cool in white. I just got the package from DDM with both stems, 3 spider discs, and a 30 pack of skull bucket brake hose frame clamps. They all look sweet! I'll take a picture in a bit and post it. I was just at the local bike shop trying to see if they can get me 2 pair's of Felt Thick Brick's for this project and another bike I'm also building. I was telling the kid in the shop about this bike I'm putting together and he was floored with the idea.

I live in kind of a small town with simple minded folks, most of which might think a bike like this was cool, but wouldn't have the where-with-all to build one themselves. There is a giant plastics plant (Formosa)that employs 2/3rd of the town so I'd think the average education level is 10th grade. There might be a few college grads in the mix but I'm betting those smart enough to go to college never came back after they finished.

I can't wait to get started on this bike. I'm working on the design drawing in AutoCad right now. I should have something to post by tomorrow.

Later Travis

That would be Damon Of Denver Cruisers fame. I met him on a few of their rides last summer. Good guy lots of fun. http://www.denvercruisers.com/
My daughter gets to ride all of the rides I hafta be content with a few a summer. Good luck on his bike. Show us your progress.

Who's you daughter, I might know her? LOL

Yeah many years ago (1999) Brad Kevans, Damon, myself, John Ireland and a few others started the Denver Cruisers. Over the years we stuck with it riding religously every Wednesday night as the numbers of regulars fluctuated from 20-50 each year. Then about 5 years ago it just started to explode. Some nights we'd see 150 people show up while others would have 35-40. This year at the kickoff party Damon stopped counting bikes at around 800. It's gotten insane. I'm kind of glad I don't live there anymore, I hate crowds of obnoxious drunks banging into one another. Just not my scene anymore since I quite drinking over 2 years ago.

Yeah I'll be posting updates soon.

Later Travis

Alright so here's a picture of the parts sent to me by Dirty Dogs MTB. Two Skull handlebar clamps, three 160mm Spider discs and a 30 pack of Skull Buckets brake hose clamps. Thank you so much Nick. This bike is going to be sweet! I can't wait to get started. I just ordered a string of parts I don't plan on making and I'm still working on the design drawings so I should get underway very soon.

5arr5g.jpg

Later Travis

Travis Its Emily she just got to denver the summer before last. She hangs with some of the Cobras and the girls from Babuska.
Gary

Yea Gary I was joking, I don't know her. I moved away from Denver September 1st of 07 and before then I seldom made any rides that summer before. I was too busy trying to leave Denver.

Later Travis

so is this another overpriced four to five month build Like P Dubs bike?? Or is this one going to actually be done on time??

Wow the negative criticism has already begun. Ref, did I build something for you that your unhappy with? Seeing as how I'm building this bike for Damon as a gift for one of my best friends and totally on my dime, I think I'll be the one to say when its done. I think you know I own my own business and I'm the only employee, so if any project takes longer than I originally thought it would its because there's just not enough time in my day.

Over priced? Well if you knew how many hours went into building PeeWee's bike and after purchasing all the high end parts at full price, (I'm not a dealer nor do I have any bicycle related resellers accounts) I only made about $4/hr building it. Luckily I had other higher paying motorcycle related jobs going on at the same time that kept me fed. Personally I think PW's bike should have been priced even higher, but I didn't feel comfortable charging him more than I did. I knew going into the build that I would probably come out in the end the way I did. And for what its worth PW's bike took from the day I designed it to the day it was delivered, even with all the delays, 3 months and 18 days. The first 3 weeks I was waiting for parts to arrive before I could build anything. Just so you know I told PW to pack up his frame, fork and front wheel and mail them back to me so I can fix the problems with the steering and front wheel. I'm paying for the shipping both ways and I'll cover the cost of repainting it after I'm done. The paint alone was $250.

Ref, I like you man, you guys were a heck of a lot of fun to hang with. If I get this one done in a timely manor, please by all means let me know if it meets your approval. :mrgreen:

No hard feeling man. Its all good. Later T

Word ! I was just bustin Balls Brotha... what Im known for..... thanks for not taking my comment to seriously!! I hope everything works out with PW's ride and with your future builds. Stay Greasy Amigo!

No worries Ref, its all good.

I figured I ought to post a few pictures of my friend Damon so you's guys can better imagine who and why I'm building this bike for. You got to understand that even though he really is old enough to be my father, I've never really thought of him as anything more than one of my best friends. Damon and I have been through the poo together if you know what I mean, and after it was all said and done, he was one of the only ones left still standing by my side. He's bailed me out of jail before, how many friends will do that for you?

3452auh.jpg

2qkia74.jpg

25gtlli.jpg

Every time I see a new picture of him, I just have to laugh a little. Thanks D :mrgreen:

Later Travis

Definitely not street legal in any state and yes they use 17 or 18" drum brake wheels from old Honda CT90 trail bikes. You can find them in every motorcycle junk yard for next to nothing. I just happened to have 6 of them in my shop from old junkers and we went to a salvage yard near Austin to pick up the other two. They had about 100 of them in a pile and I got a couple more for $10 each. I set these up with rod actuated drum brakes mounted on the rear axle cause trying to mount the stocker brakes was too complex. I think all total we have about $400 in parts for the pair including the engines but you'd just about be able to build one from all salvage and used parts for under $100. Their going to be a blast, the kids can grow into them and hopefully learn a bit of driving skills before they get old enough to actually drive a car.

Later Travis

Back