Deady LongLegs - Stick a Fork In It

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again I should not have joked...
Turn over and repeat until the frame is ruined and I make a stool out of it
So I did exactly that. It was a 130 spaced frame, I was aiming for a 135 spaced frame. I have it a little pry with the tubafore, nothing. Little more, and it lifted sickeningly easily. Like, I could feel it moving and not springing back. Sick to my stomach, I measured.
IMG_20230618_150958261.jpg
It's now closer to 145mm and I'm pretty sure that you can see the bend in the stay. I don't know if I want to save a bike this flexy
IMG_20230618_151235182.jpg

Seriously meh about the whole thing

Bend the other side out and make it even steven... Then set the wheel where you want,and tight nuts even.

So I put the squeeze on the rear end, bent back really easily again, right past where I wanted, straight back to being too narrow again. Eventually I just spread it enough to get the wheel in. Cleaned up the brakes and removed the Exage branding and put them on. So lazy I'm just reusing the straddles from the Norco, I never even took them off. Need some new pads though.
IMG_20230623_162210686.jpg
IMG_20230623_162205402.jpg
IMG_20230623_162202942.jpg

Hopefully this means that everything is all aligned and straight, I'm leaving it for the time being

So I put the squeeze on the rear end, bent back really easily again, right past where I wanted, straight back to being too narrow again. Eventually I just spread it enough to get the wheel in. Cleaned up the brakes and removed the Exage branding and put them on. So lazy I'm just reusing the straddles from the Norco, I never even took them off. Need some new pads though.View attachment 238046View attachment 238047View attachment 238048
Hopefully this means that everything is all aligned and straight, I'm leaving it for the time being
Nice work bending it all back in and breaks your on a roll

Needs Checklist:
Cables, inner and outer
Grips
Crank
Saddle
Rim strips

Still gotta hang the derailleurs, get the rack and bottle cage bolted on, pedals bolted in to that crank I don't have yet, the speedometer to get going on ...
long way to go before the finish

Needs Checklist:
Cables, inner and outer
Grips
Crank
Saddle
Rim strips

Still gotta hang the derailleurs, get the rack and bottle cage bolted on, pedals bolted in to that crank I don't have yet, the speedometer to get going on ...
long way to go before the finish
Brian's we need to go

Steel bicycle rear ends bend easy when there is no wheel in the dropouts. Use the string method to determine equal bending on both sides. That is a string through the rack mounting holes on the dropouts then forward outside of the seatpost and around the head tube then back to the other side. I usually tie fishing weights exactly the same way on both ends of the string to get good tension and a fair read on the trueness of the frame. Measure from the string to the seatpost tube. That number should be the same on both sides. If they are you are on your way to having a bicycle that can be ridden hands off the bars.

Tbh, for the crank, I want about the same era, so mid to late 80s square taper, but no ovals, 2x is plenty, at least 50 teeth on the big ring. Doesn't need to be too fancy, just compatible with the HG cassette out back.
Seat just needs to be comfortable for hours. I gotta try a Brooks someday...

Bike is looking great! I love the idea for the build as a comfortable all-roads bike. And the Rough Stuff aesthetic is really cool. Parts package is excellent. I love Brooks for the way they look and I've found them to be comfortable so far, though I'm not an all day rider. A couple hours is good for me generally but you never know. I think this will be a bike you can really enjoy when you're out exploring.

Glad you got the frame alligned where you need it. Tubafores are great, but it is easy to overtune with the force from them.

Almost three weeks since I've done anything with it except shunt it around the garage when it's in the way. Almost three weeks left. But I'll be camping for one of them.
That means we're in for another 2 week worldwind of work that may or may not lead to Matti being foiled at the minute

I started this mess 3 years ago by saying,
I've kinda lost the love. Don't really wanna build. Just not feeling it. Hopefully this will knock me outta my funk.
Nope, mission not accomplished. Still funky after all these years. See me later, we'll get there eventually. Might not post build updates, but Daddy LongLegs will roll someday. Thanks for the support

I started this mess 3 years ago by saying,

Nope, mission not accomplished. Still funky after all these years. See me later, we'll get there eventually. Might not post build updates, but Daddy LongLegs will roll someday. Thanks for the support
And now you’re gonna build a muscle bike l!!!!

IMG_1753.gif

Back