definition of Klunker? Spacebike, Etc?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there info on the site defining what a Klunker bike is? or a Space Bike?, etc?

If Im reading this correctly...

A Clunker is built from a Ballooner Heavy Weight 26x2.125 tires.

A Space Bike is a Middle Weight with 26x1.75 tires.

Some info...

http://clunkers.net/

I just clicked on the Klunker build-off section and got some info there; and the same on the Spacebikes.. thanks.

jackdaw said:
Yeah, how 'bout chopper, lowrider and burrito?

Yeah how about the burrito? Being new to the hobby (Not to building bikes) it's a little confusing :oops:

From my limited knowledge, a klunker is a balloon bike that has been owner modified for mountain biking. If I remember correctly, klunkers were around before commercially available mtb's.
Space bikes are space race inspired middleweight bikes of the early 60's. The most popular of these was the Sears Spaceliner. A lowrider is usually a 20" musclebike/ Stingray style framed bike, with a banana seat as low as possible, bent Springer forks to lower the front, and forward adjusted apehanger bars, and lots of chrome with whitewall tires.
A burrito bike is a long, low, stretched frame, usually owner built, with cranks moved forward of the seat, and the seat is usually in front of and lower than the top of the rear tire. A chopper is styled after a chopper motorcycle-a long front fork and a semi reclined seating position.

I think the term comes from the fact that they scrape together whatever they can find and put it on their bike.

outskirtscustoms said:
I think the term comes from the fact that they scrape together whatever they can find and put it on their bike.

Sounds like ratrod philosophy to me, or "Klunkers" for that matter, in just a slightly different cultural context. I watched an interview linked from the youtube video, and they are piecing together bikes, customizing, sharing and generally being creative. And teaching the younger kids in their community to do the same. Nothing but positive in that...

Back