Dented Bottom Bracket, how to fix?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frame that I dropped and it flattened out part of the BB. Im not sure how to make it round again. I started to use a hammer but I could tell it was going to gouge the inner wall of the bb. Any help would be appreciated

you must of had the barring cup out at the time too bend it so easily ? if so i would just tap the cup back in with a small mallit,place a scrap piece of wood over it so not to damage the cup.should work.

like A.S. says, just tap it back out if you need too and then try to put a bearing cup back in it. sometimes it helps to use something to tap on like a socket extension or something similar so your not beating the straight part of the bb up.

happens all the time to steering tubes "dropped" in shipping

I'd try driving the bearing cups into it if it isn't too bad. If you have a muffler shop close by they have a hydraulic tool they use for sizing pipe. If they use caution this should make it round again. They also have a coned shape tool they use to drive into the end of a pipe when it gets dropped to make the opening round again. I wouldn't think they would charge much for this.

i wasnt really bad, I used a round part of a hammer and hit it with another happer to mare it more round. after that the bearing cups went in really nice. Thanks Guys for all the help.

Freezing the bearing cups is only good for an interference fit of about 5 thou. Brute force will be needed. Pound it out with a round headed object, when it is close press in an old cup using an arbor press or a 6inch vise, this should press it out. A little heat won't hurt either.

Latest posts

Back