Derby Bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this Derby Bicycle in Fulton, NY on the 9th of March. I need help dating it.

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Cut it out already! :D :lol: Too many nice bikes found in a short period of time. :roll: That looks to be Elgin built, 1936-1939?

I think it might be murray or at least cleveland welding by the sprocket. It's funny how the seat survived much better than the bike.

" I unexpectedly altered the interior composition of my lower undergarments... " LOL!

Man that's a sweet bike.

I was thinking it may be a CWC also. I've seen pictures of prewar Roadmasters with the top bars and tank that looked like that and they also had the peaked fenders. Maybe it's a Hardware Store Special - does anybody know of Hardware Stores that may have mixed and matched parts and basically made something unique? Madison Harware Store in New York was famous for assembling Lionel Trains from whatever parts were on hand just so they had new trains to sell during the Second World War. They not only brought some joy to kids that couldn't afford trains but got to watch the Lionel Train Display at Christmas time but also created a unique piece that collectors find highly desirable. I think that would be very interesting if that may have happened with bicycles also. Anyone ever even heard a rumor about something like this?

deorman said:
If you say you got it discount day at the local Goodwill store , I might get sick. :shock:
It is a stolen lawn ornament. No, I paid good money for it.

dating the bike....well i supose it would be similar to dating a woman...ask her out blah blah blah.

Warning: most people will think your a little odd, be prepared

I think the Derby bicycle company may be located in what was once west Gemany, they are still in business and are the biggest bicycle supplier in Germany.I have a Derby canti bike thats not as old as yours. It was a wreck of a bike when I got it and I had to replace most every part with repro parts that are not correct but fit just fine as finding the orig parts is just like trying to find info on the ...... thing! LOL!

Latest posts

Back