disk brake adapting to an electra rat rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the subject says, is this possible? Has anyone done it? I have an electra rat rod and have an electric motor fitted to it and this set up has done away with the coaster brake and all I have now is a little drum brake on the front that heats up and fades terribly to the point of dangerous. I want to fit a nexus 8 speed internal hub on the back with a roller brake but the roller brakes are out of stock here and pretty much all over the world for the next few months so that only leaves a disk brake option if it is an option at all. The alfine 8 speed has a rotor attached so I’d just need a place to bolt the calliper too. The mount would have to be welded on to the frame I guess. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks :D

If you don't want to weld a mount on to your frame and you have the frame with the horizontal dropouts, like the one in this post

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18471

then you could consider a simple adapter kit like this one- it may be available in the states as well, maybe someone else can tell you where to get them- I know a couple of guys who use it on their mtbs and they seem to have no problems with it even when downhilling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Universa ... 588f475ece

A2Z also do an adapter that may fit the later rat rod frame dropouts.

Thanks Wolf I wish, but I have the aluminium frame Rat Rod, it has drop outs from underneath at sort of 45 degree angle.

Before having a mount welded on check which grade of ally your frame is made from. 6000 series such as 6061 needs to be heat treated after welding otherwise the frame will be significantly weaker after welding than before! 7000 series ages hardens so doesnt need post weld heat treatment, takes about 30 days to regain it's strength.

This adapter may do you http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products ... er_05.html part DM-UNI. otherwise there are some great fabricators on this site who may live close enough to help you make an adapter if you are not sure how to do it.

Thanks mate but Im in Brisbane Australia, unless you know someone here? but that first adaptor on the link you gave seems promising. Wonder if they ship internationaly

oh bummer "Not compatible with Specialized Frames where the dropout is slightly angled backwards" thats exactly how mine is. Guess Im back to welding thanks for your help though :D

Mentioned this to an old collegue who used to have Electras and he recomended you look at this site

http://2btherapy.com/bikes/brake-therapy-conversion-kit

Click on the yellow convert your bike, follow the instructions and it comes to a bit about the V brake mount and that if you don't have one to email their guy for a custom solution. No idea how much it costs but may be worth enquiring.

People may be able to offer better suggestions if you posted a picture of your frame's dropout. I have no experience with disk brakes, but I have an 07 aluminum Rally Sport, which uses the same frame as a Rat Rod, and the plates that make for the dropouts are HUGE and extremely thick. There's lots of available flat surface to work with, and it seems to me it would be fairly easy to fabricate a bolt on solution to this frame.

Yes Rooski exactly the same frame, and your right big flats to work with couldn't be that hard. Id just go with a roller brake with an 8 speed internal hub which is what I really want but these are out of stock indefinitely world wide, unless some one knows where I can find these, Ive looked everywhere

Latest posts

Back