dissapointed joy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Well as I have said before, my neighbor is a trash man and leaves bikes in my garage for me often. I just come home and they are leaning against my garage door. Well last night after work i get home and the garage was opened from the kids. As always i unload myself from the truck and head to the garage fridge for a beer. As I walked past my row of bikes, I about fell over! there sits a mint Orange Krate!!!! :shock: My eye started to twitch and I started to go nuts. I ran into the house to ask my wife if she knew the deal. I could not believe that my neighbor would just give me such a sweet bike let alone find it in the trash to start with. My wife goes on to remind me of a guy that we had talked to at the local bar. He had asked a few weeks back if I could take a look at his bike and fix it. WELL he dropped it off. :( :cry: I will however be very happy to work on it.

IMG-20120827-01202.jpg

IMG-20120827-01201.jpg

I take them off of the axle, clean, and oil them up. Usually gets them working again. If you sprayed it good with Dd40, and then tapped the cassette with a rubber mallet, that sometimes works too.

slowriderz said:
The issue with the bike is that it just free wheels. Rear sprockets are not engaging. Anyone had this issue?
Unfortunately, that bike is ruined and completely unridable. Tell him there was nothing you could do, and you had to junk it.

then store in your attic for a while. :lol:

It's broke and can't be fixed.

I just PMed you with my address to ship it to.

Tell him that I will pay for the shipping, plus I will throw $100 to both of you for the trouble.

A new free wheel would be best. Or you can try spraying some WD40 in the through the cracks and holes. The grease is probably all gummed up.

LOL yhea guys I have ran thru all of this in my mind. Paint my stingray styled coast king orange and mock all the parts to look similar hahaha.....No seriously, He is a nice guy but knows nothing about bikes except that it may have value. He has more money and toys than he knows what to do with. In fact, he wants it to hang from the ceiling of his hot rod building. :( I will be sure to get it running so I can ride it until he rips it from my hands. In this poor condition, it may take years to repair. :lol:

cman said:
A new free wheel would be best. Or you can try spraying some WD40 in the through the cracks and holes. The grease is probably all gummed up.

Its almost like the cassette is stripped. does not engage at all. any tips on where i can get a new one?

+1 to bike2112.

take the wheel off the bike. lay it flat and spray it really good with a penetrating, lubricating spray, to get the lube down into the pawls.

Let it sit over night and soak. try it again in the morning.

I took a MTB wheel to my LBS, and he said it was probably toast, but he sprayed into it with a bike lube (don't know the brand).

No joy right away, but by the time I got it home, all was well.

I soak them down stick it in a vice.. and put a chaing wrench or a strap on it .. and bob's your uncle ..
or stretch if you own the website, its works :lol: no really this is how I do it

Too bad you aren't in my town. I've got all the tools for cassett. MTN and Road bikes was what I rode/worked on, and the tools I got from the bike stores I worked at. It's this single speed cruise stuff that's throwing me for a loop! :lol:

As stated, I would take off the wheel, take it down to a LBS and have them pop the cassett off. You can then take the hub apart, then you might be able to get the freewheel off... or it might take another trip to the LBS to pop it off with a special tool... depending on what's holding it on.

As stated, it sounds like you've got some gummed up works in there due to old grease. A long soak in kerosene, plus some toothbrush scrubbing, re-lubing, then reassembly should do the trick. But the disassembly/clean should come with a close inspection looking for anything worn/broken like the teeth that engage the freewheel. If some of them are broke, then no amount of WD-40 (which I hate) will do a thing to help.

Have it soaking now. I will see how it goes this afternoon. did talk with him last night and he explained that he paid $1500 for it and if I gave him $100 over that she could be all mine :shock: :cry: I will just stick to my cheapo rat finds.

(whisper) Shhhhhhhh.... nobody let the cat outta the bag. Your tips worked very well and this little gem is cruisin. He doesnt have to know yet! He did say "whenever you get to it" Thank goodness there is no odometer on it to track the extra miles. :D

FYI...for anyone looking to tackle this type of problem any further than the OP did...don't!

Unfortunately I did not take pictures, but I can tell you exactly what to expect if you take the freewheel apart (besides heartache and disappointment). First, you will encounter an unknown quantity of almost microscopic ball-bearings. You will encounter them all over your workbench, legs, floor, etc. I don't think anyone knows how many are supposed to be in there, because no one has successfully disassembled a Schwinn freewheel and captured all of them as they came out.

Now that your freewheel is basically useless, you will see that there are two pawls that engage the teeth on the freewheel (what makes the clickclickclick sound when you coast), that are held up with spring wire that is about the size of a human hair. As has been said, these spring wires either get gummed up with old grease, or just break off, and then the freewheel slips when you try to pedal.

If you are lucky enough to get them unstuck, or replaced, and seated again properly, you still have to get all those bearings back in place, on both sides? How many go on each side? Who knows?

Seriously, unless you're the type of person who likes to build ships in a bottle or paint art on the head of a pin, do yourself a favor and spend $20 on ebay for another freewheel. I will never take another one apart.

Back