Dived evolved into dove

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to step on toes here, but it does jar on me when I'm watching an American TV show or movie and they say "spit" as a past tense, i.e. "She spit on me." The past tense form of spit here is spat, and it sounds clunky to my ears the other way.

Wow quite the conversation. How about the word -creek. I dont consider myself "backwoods" but I say crick.

cman said:
Wow quite the conversation. How about the word -creek. I dont consider myself "backwoods" but I say crick.
OK sorry that is backwoods, but you may be redeemed if you dont say "libarry" instead of library or my moms favorite "warsh" instead of wash......LOL :mrgreen:

For me creek would rhyme with beak.
I have never heard this word used to refer to an actual river in the UK but we have a saying about a situation that might turn bad, 'up excrement creek without a paddle' (except it's the Anglo-Saxon word for the Norman-French 'excrement')

Until recently I thought creek was an Australian word, because I had never heard it used in books/films/tv from the UK or US, but recently I realised it is used in the US. Here, basically everything which isn't a rushing torrent is called a creek.

Something I'd like to know, if someone is prepared to do the research and provide links: was the original pronounciation of the word 'tomato' the same in Britain as in America, I mean was it the British word that changed or were they both different from the start?
I think the original British pronounciation was 'tomaytoe' and that was brougt to America by the colonists but i've got no actual proof.

Tomato.
Ive got no research on this but I work with a gent from liverpool, and he pronounces it "toe-mah-toe", and everyone else around these parts says "toe-may-toe"
He also pronounces aluminum "al-you-min-e-um" says that we (americans) all say it wrong because it got spelled wrong on the patent in the USA... :roll:

Latest posts

Back