DIY hand made welder, Rat Rod style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here it is, the Rat Rod Welder. There's not much to it, you can see lot of used parts here that can
be upgraded from the get go or later. The mad scientist thing is appealing to me because I just like
to see how things work so this may be to some a little crude.

House business first. I like mine and I'd like to keep it. This is not a toy and there are dangers you
could encounter that could really mess up your day or your life. It won't help to say I told you so
when your stretched out on your shop floor. If this makes you a bit nervous or don't think you have
the skills then stop here and buy a welder. These are not intructions to build one of these welders
but a diary of how I built mine. Many people have built them differently. If you have confidence in
your abilities then continue. OK

FIGURE ONE
PortableRatRodWelder-01.jpg

These are the parts I started out with and some tools I used. On the left I used #10 wire that an
electrician had taken from a house. I think it came from a stove. You need about 20 to 25 feet of it for each transformer.
I stripped the outer casing to find a black, a white, and a bare ground wire. I also had some smaller
lengths that I will use on the transformer with the taps coming out of it. The black wire I will use
on the other transformer in one long wrap.
The gray cord was from a computer. The orange box was from a Sawzall tool that was thrown out. The
black wire inside is a jumper cable for a car. The battery terminal clamps can be used but it's much
better to go to Harbor Freight and get a set of cheap ground clamps and stick holder.
On the bottom of figure one there is a terminal strip that I got from a discarded hot tub. It was
beefier than a store bought one I had. This strip should be rated to handle the load. Also shown are
some terminal ends I had along with the wire nuts and clamps.
Far right in figure one is a soldering iron and a volt meter. The gray cord is from an appliance that
had push on terminal connectors on it so that I could quickly and easily test my transformers with it.
Lets get wrapping.

First you have to get two transformers from microwave ovens. Inside is a capacitor that could kill you
or harm you, not a good thing to mess with. It may have a charge in it when you remove the
transformers so don't mess with either of the it's terminals. Some people discharge it by grounding it out but
I never learned those skills so I take a nonconducting wooden stick and pop the leads off and stay
away from it. If this is something your not sure of find someone who is to help you or forget it and
buy a welder. Be safe. Once you have the transformers in your hand your good to go.

PortableRatRodWelder-02.jpg

So here is what you work with at your bench. You are removing the secondary coils which are the thin
wires with a gazillion winds. Do not harm the primary windings, About 150 winds more or less, made
from thicker gauge wire. Also there is another wire in there only a few wraps and sheathed in a
covering. This would be the filiament winding and it gets taken out. I sometimes clamp the transformer
down and take a chisel to the wire being careful not to harm the other coil. Then you take a punch
like that sawed off crank from a cottered bottom bracket and punch the wire out.

PortableRatRodWelder-03.jpg

This is what you end up with. This thing marked shunt are to be left in and is important to the
electromagnetic thing that goes on. It needs to be there so leave it in. Also you can see the wooden
wedges I have ready to hold the wire while I pulled it through.

PortableRatRodWelder-04.jpg

Here are the transformers that have been eyeballed and marked to show which direction the windings
will go. What I did is look at the primary windings to see which way they were wound starting at the
bottom so that the wire I wound goes the same way. Not all the transformers are wound the same
direction or are the same size for that matter.

PortableRatRodWelder-05.jpg

I stripped the wire with this electrician type knife. This worked well and better than a razor knife.
Don't cut yourself if you do this.

PortableRatRodWelder-06.jpg

This is the begining of my windings and shows a neat job of it. Using the wooden wedges to hold the
wire and an old screwdriver with worn edges I packed it in there nice and tight.The vertical piece of
wood is to hold the wire away from the sharp edges as you pull the wire around. You have to be
carefull not to cut the wire on the corners, there will be a little skuffing scrapes put don't cut
into the wire.

PortableRatRodWelder-07.jpg

When I wind I like to keep a tally going or I'll lose track. They say to wind 20 wraps but of all the
ones I have wound I have gotten about 16 to 18 in there. The list also shows at what winding I left a
little out to solder on a wire to extend the tap away from the coil.The wires in the foreground are
the first in red. The second and last are white. The black is the begining of the wind.

PortableRatRodWelder-08.jpg

When I fired up the primary coil these were my readings. Not too shabby and I'm pleased with it.

PortableRatRodWelder-09.jpg

This is my second transformer and was wound counter clockwise to match the primary coil. You can see
the wood wedge that was pounded in from the back. This also was winding tight and in a neat wind for
17 turns.

PortableRatRodWelder-10.jpg

This was my reading and I'm not happy with it. It should be more but the primary coil winding may
cause this, to many or not enough winds. It was from a small Microwave oven. This still maybe OK for
now and I can always exchange it later.

PortableRatRodWelder-schematic.jpg

This is a bare bones schematic of whats going on. The primarys are wired in parallel and the secondary
are wired in series.

PortableRatRodWelder-11.jpg

So whats up with this reading, I should be getting about 30 volts and not 4. Perfect, now I'll show you
how to fix this. It's a 50-50 chance that this will happen to you. This is called phasing, easy to fix
by switching over two primary leads.

PortableRatRodWelder-12.jpg

This black and white leads will be reversed .....

PortableRatRodWelder-13.jpg

.....to this.

PortableRatRodWelder-14.jpg

Much better! I clamped the meter leads down and got 31.8 volts. When I just touched the meter leads I
got a little less.

PortableRatRodWelder-15.jpg

These are the readings I got from the different taps. I don't think its all that bad and it's got a
decent spread. This should be fine.

PortableRatRodWelder-16.jpg

I used these heavy duty terminals to fit on th heavy gage car battery jumper cables and screwed them
tight to the terminal strip.

PortableRatRodWelder-17.jpg

So this is it crammed in an old Sawzall boxed tucked in, Waiting to be pluged in and used. Hope you
like it and I'll update later to show how it works.

Graylock

What’s up with the disclaimer, Greylock? Looks like a piece of cake! All those guys lamenting the lack of a welder now have no excuse . . . they just need to get busy and dismantle their microwave ovens! :lol:

Seriously though, I’m really curious to see how well it works, so keep us posted.

PS, I dare you to put a "UL-approved" label on that Sawsall case. :p

udallcustombikes said:
I have been waiting on this thread for quite a while. Thanks, GL!
I knew that and I've been trying to get it done but been too busy or too tired. I cleaned up the work shop in the cellar so I could work on this so I got two things done ( he! he! he!)

I had a little time at home after work today with the sun shining and all so I tried a little test weld. It is really cold so I don't know if it effected my test but here's what I got. I threw a 6013 three thirty seconds rod in.

This is the test picture with the Highest setting on the top and lowest on the bottom.
Test.jpg

I started with the medium setting and chicken pooped up a little at the start but settled in once I got going with a little burn out at the end. I haven't welded for two months so it wasn't all that bad.
I rolled the work over and hooked up to the high setting. I thought it might burn through so I made a faster pass. It came out flat and better but nearly burned at the end. Not bad.
I put it the lowest setting and had a hard time starting an arc but when I did I took my time and got some welding out of it. I wouldn't use this setting unless the metal I was welding was thin and maybe a 1/16th rod. Still a nice setting to have just in case.
So I went back to the medium setting and blew a hole through it. I didn't quit on it so I tried again and blew a bigger hole. Sweet, I need more practice.
Meltdown.jpg

So the test were OK but I would make these changes
Using battery clamps is ok but it would be better and more stable arc if I change to some store bought ones. At Harbor Freight they are real cheap. I've bought some at Home Depot for twice the price with the Lincoln name on them. It would be much better but this set up still works if you can be patient with it. Also the leads are short and again you could buy longer cables or in my case find longer and more flexible jumper cables to use.
The one other thing that had bothered me before is that the transformer with the full wraps should have been higher in voltage. I think I would like to find another that I could get at least 16 volts out of.....I will update this thread as I make changes but as is this thing could weld a bike up.

Graylock

I'm stuck on step one :cry: Anyway... what's with the picture of Larry :? :lol: :lol: :?

Graylock said:
Thats Santa in the off season.

Graylock
You are one crazy "old" man! :lol: .....It reminded me of the "old" days.

scan0001-2.jpg

WHOA :shock: :lol: I think I might be dodging you at Dudley :lol: :lol:
Graylock said:
I am not crazy........just extremely happy :|
MyNewBelgiumBikePhoto.jpg

Graylock

This is great. I've been wondering about home made welders for quite some time.

Now I've heard some of the older guys say they use to weld with a car battery and jumper cables, can someone show me how that was done?? :?

DonQui said:
This is great. I've been wondering about home made welders for quite some time.

Now I've heard some of the older guys say they use to weld with a car battery and jumper cables, can someone show me how that was done?? :?
Ground negative cable to the piece.......Never mind, I'm not going to be responsible! :lol:

can you do it with one battery? i thought you had to use 2 or 3 hooked together. ive never actually seen it done. besides, i beleive its more for a last resort fix it to get back to civilization thing than a substitute for an actual welder.

It is 2 0r more batteries. You have to ground your work to negative I think and use the 6014 rods :roll: I think. There are several sites where this is done but I'm not sure where it was when I saved it to my computer. The truth is I spent time searching for this kind of stuff and when I found it I saved it. Then I made a HTM file to access them from a file in my computer. All my bike related stuff is on a 8-gig USB drive and............. wait........ too much info :oops:

Graylock

you lost me at search and save :lol: . i beleive it was four wheeler magazine or 4wheel & off road where i read about multiple battery welding. hope that helps. problem is, you still have to be able to sucessfully run a bead, thats my downfall. :oops:

Practice makes progress :wink: It's the fool behind the tool that makes it look good. :roll: and then practice some more.

As far as saving things off the interweb you just go to the top of the page and look for "File" and click it and click the "save as" and clickthe htm file choice and put it into a new folder named after what ever you are saving. :roll: easy

I found this if it is of interest to anyone http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/Welder/portable-welder.html

Graylock

Back