Do u ever sell a bike u made?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't sold any of my builds yet but I'm out of space so I'm in the same quandary. I don't expect to get back what I've got in them so I'm going to mostly try to recycle them into future builds.
I gave up on recouping costs. I look at it this way…….if I invested $100 in parts and materials then I need to ride it 20 times. $5 per ride and I feel better about the decision

circa 2008 I suspected the rat rod craze was just that, a craze. It's lasted longer than I suspected, but it's definitely not as popular as it was.

Like CA, I prefer to take the loss and sell them whole, hoping they will live on and be ridden.

I tried selling one. The only response I got to the ad was one guy who only reached out to let me know that it was a piece of trash, and I had some nerve trying to get money for it. The parts got removed for future builds, the frame is is the scrap pile now.
I think the problem is, rat rods are an art form which isn't really understood by the general public. We're not really making them more practical or useful, and the look can be very subjective. You gotta be into them, to be into them.

circa 2008 I suspected the rat rod craze was just that, a craze. It's lasted longer than I suspected, but it's definitely not as popular as it was.
But it’s done better than the zombie craze that came with the Walking Dead. Everything was zombie this and zombies that or slime green

Rat rod is a cultural phenomena 😁

Rat has multiple genres within it as well. Some are more relatable like survivors or patina bikes as opposed to the full on Mad Max style bikes. I like them all. One thing for me is I'm not comfortable enough with my welding to sell a frame I built to someone else. Not sure what's going to happen with my tall bike when I'm done messing around with it. I spent $100 on struts and seatpost spacers so I'm ok with not getting that back directly. My Roadmaster would have to be parted out to recoup costs but I don't think I'll ever sell that one.

Bikes in general are hard sells during COVID not so much but absolutely. Most normal people (not the bike nuts) go to a bike because they need to get from point a to point b don't care about looks or function so they go on marketplace and grab the first thing decent thing under 100 bucks. Were willing to pay that in parts.I will buy and sell but usually only for a little more than I pay after I pillage for what I need. Custom market is even trickier you built it for you.

I feel like I built a bike nearly for free when I've only got $100 in them. California is a high price market so I'm usually $200-300 into the project before I start mods and buying parts. Bikes I've built up from parts usually cost me at least $600. Like my GT Timberline. It's a personal build that I have no intention of selling but I've got $500-600 into a $150 bike. But I love it!

Going Fast Mountain Bike GIF by Santa Cruz Bicycles

Depends on your area of the country and who you're targeting (for the sale). I know I'll never recoup cost on labor. However, bike building is my hobby. I love it, so the labor time is invested in myself.

I quit making comissions, and only make customs. That way, when someone stops in their tracks and admires my bike, I know they are 'my people'.

As for selling. I am willing to ship 90% of my bikes, so that opens up my market. I go to car meets and custom events. I also try and get my bikes in for display at events. One such event was a whiskey competition. Distilleries all over the country came to show their whiskey and signature chicken wings. I got my bikes in for display in the VIP area. The owner of Breckinridge Distillery loved one of my bikes, and his buddy bought it for him for his birthday.

All that to say, I don't build with the intention to sell, but when I sell, I don't target bike people. I go for people that either know what goes into custom work, and/or just love the aesthetic (more like art). I have mainly lived in major metropolitan areas for the past 2 decades, so I know that's a huge factor as well.

until recently, I was having good luck selling bikes and other things on Fb Marketplace. Now all I get are "is this available?" inquiries even though the ad clearly states no replies will be made to "is this available?", if the ad is up the item is available. Oy.

To keep it in perspective, the rule of thumb for custom car builds is 50%. So it will be worth around 1/2 of what you've got in it when it's done. So if I spend $30k on my '36 Chevy coupe when I build it I should reasonably be able to sell it for $15k. Not planning to sell that car but, ugh!! Makes selling a $300 bike build for $100 seem less badish. I used to break even on my motorcycle hobby but I haven't been playing with those for the last few years.

Back