Do you ever slightly freak out when buying expensive stuff?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An RRB member was cool enough to give me a heads up on this rear 24" slick I've been looking for. So I grabbed it, but I had a slight anxiety attack when paying for it. lol

s-l1600.jpg
CRASH, were these tires more of an aftermarket tire for the Super Stocks? Or did they come standard on some models? I see the original ad with the dual red lines so that's why I'm asking. I know the RWL looks cooler but just wondering.

Those XKE 990 RWL tires were stock on the Super Stocks starting in 1970.

Thanks eagleye. Mine are both 69's so no XKE's are needed for me. But they do look great. I would hate to spend that kind of money on tires and actually have to use them. :43:

They are sweet tires aren't they? Love to see wrapped NOS tires come out of hiding after all these years.

Buyer's remorse. I get it frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The '66 thru '69 Spyders used a 24x1.75 slick on the back and a 24 x 1-3/8" on the front (just like the Huffy Super Stocks). The Spyder 500, started in 1970 I believe, used a 1-3/8" tire for both front and rear. The Manta Ray followed that lead.

I have a '69 Spyder.

One time at a swap meet I was haggling with a seller (not bike related). I got him to come down to $50 but that was still a little more than I wanted to spend. He then asks me when was the last time I went out for dinner. "Last week" I say. "How much did it cost?" he asks. "About $50" I reply. "And where is that food now?" To which I say "In the sewage treatment plant, I suppose." At which point I hand the man his $50.

piece of art right there.....

I did unwrap one of the NOS Kelly Springfield whitewall slicks I got for my Torino 500,but cringed and wrapped it back up, lol...

lol...tire saver brakes.:21:

I'll bet my dad would have appreciated brakes that wouldn't lock up. He'd get so mad when he saw me skidding or saw the evidence of it. "You wear that tire out and the next one you can pay for!!!" So off I'd go and ride through the goatheads. "That's it!!! It's time you learned to patch your own d*** tires!!!"

That's one thing seems to have gone waaaay up in price , is old tires, and banana seats. Tire prices seem crazy the last year or so, are they just drying up ? ( figuratively and literaly, lol ) ?

Back